• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When I were a lad...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    <yawn>
    what's this spotty dev talk to do with the 'state of the market'?
    Hear, hear! Take it to technical where the nerds can bore each other without sending the rest of us to sleep

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I'm not sure that helps me needing a single defined document structure for validation at rest..
      What's a "single defined document structure for validation"? You mean a schema? Schema or schemaless is mostly orthogonal to format. Many formats can be used with a schema or without.

Choice of format depends entirely on application, but XML and JSON are hardly cutting edge. They're particularly ill-suited to low-latency message (de)serialization within a microservice architecture, for example. Again, depends entirely on your application.

Kind of a weird/amusing discussion above IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Hear, hear! Take it to technical where the nerds can bore each other without sending the rest of us to sleep
        Oops, sorry. Don't look above.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The first sentence in your original reply was "There is nothing stopping you validating JSON" to which I replied with an example where it wasn't the case.

But it's nice to know you work in a world where data integrity and piggy in the middle attacks aren't a risk. I'm old school enough that I protect for the latter even when data is moving internally within Azure and AWS..

You can validate a JSON payload, trust me, if you want to sign the bits and bytes on the stream there is nothing stopping you doing that either.

I don’t understand how a combination of JSON validators, OpenID Connect using signed JWT tokens over SSL wouldn’t give you all the data integrity checks you would ever need but if you were really paranoid you could B64 the payload and sign that.

I think there is more to your use case I do not understand, but as this is getting a bit tangental to state of the market I will defer to you and leave it there.
          Last edited by PlanB; 16 February 2020, 19:58.

Comment

This link gives a bit more perspective as to why you shouldn't necessarily rip out an XML interface for a marginal improvement in performance.

Stop Comparing JSON and XML
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              What's a "single defined document structure for validation"? You mean a schema? Schema or schemaless is mostly orthogonal to format. Many formats can be used with a schema or without.

Choice of format depends entirely on application, but XML and JSON are hardly cutting edge. They're particularly ill-suited to low-latency message (de)serialization within a microservice architecture, for example. Again, depends entirely on your application.

Kind of a weird/amusing discussion above IMHO.
              To be fair I wasn't the one who brought up JSON

Correct, the world is moving on, graphql, mqtt, protocol buffers etc.

But better get this thread back on track.
              Last edited by PlanB; 16 February 2020, 17:46.

Comment

JSON Schema | The home of JSON Schema

HTH

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                  Correct, the world is moving on, graphql, mqtt, protocol buffers etc.

But better get this thread back on track.
                  i'm with you on the technical part. the world is moving on. in fact, in general, it all comes down to change. as clichy as this might sound, "the only thing that doesn't change in this world is change". we gotta adapt, embrace & welcome change not just in tech but everything that surrounds us if we want to survive in any place.

yeah, let's get back on track.
                  in terms of state of market i think this thread has maybe run its course at current stage. We all know where we at & what's going to happen & know what are our options now. It's just case of picking the option you fancy. so for time being sit back and see how things develop until the times come.

I've already produced a good summarized outlook together back a few pages (p321) if anyone here didn't get chance to see that & got caught up with the whole techie xml/json/agile/non-agile/devops sidetracks, please do go back and take a look. Please give me likes & thanks if you like the post.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                    i'm with you on the technical part. the world is moving on. in fact, in general, it all comes down to change. as clichy as this might sound, "the only thing that doesn't change in this world is change". we gotta adapt, embrace & welcome change not just in tech but everything that surrounds us if we want to survive in any place.

yeah, let's get back on track.
                    in terms of state of market i think this thread has maybe run its course at current stage. We all know where we at & what's going to happen & know what are our options now. It's just case of picking the option you fancy. so for time being sit back and see how things develop until the times come.

I've already produced a good summarized outlook together back a few pages (p321) if anyone here didn't get chance to see that & got caught up with the whole techie xml/json/agile/non-agile/devops sidetracks, please do go back and take a look. Please give me likes & thanks if you like the post.
                    I was me who started the XML Schema thing. The [tech]world has moved on. Whatever your use case / end-state design is the heart of the matter? If you have the authority, the power and the leadership you could affect a digital transformation. However, some clients have no choice, for example because of regulation. I pointed to the Dodd-Frank BASEL XML reporting mandated by the Financial Conduct Authority way back in 2010, hence the reference to HSBC. Other people couldn't give two bloody fornicators, dare I say, the challenger banks, I would be extremed surprised, if firms such as Monza and Revolut are depending on the SOAP / XML messaging and monolithic IBM WebSphere application servers for their cloud infrastructure needs.

So let's rest the XML vs JSON tech debate with British Lad's comment.

Here is my current State of the Market moment.

For me, I interviewed to my first permanent job on Friday. It was a first of possibly five stages. The last stage is optional (meet the IT Director / CTO)

I have been looking now contract (work now) for about 15 weeks. Before Xmas, I was treating it a contract search for the next gig. I just searched for contracts outside IR35. After Xmas, I opened my search up to include inside IR35 gigs (because Northern Lad UK said a long time ago 67% of £0.00 income is equal to nothing) and also decent any perm salary jobs that I know my talents are good for and that I can commute 1 hour to and back again.

Since the start of the year, I have been interviewing for Inside IR35 jobs, the Outside IR35 ones are very few and far between. I had one call 3 weeks ago from some agent claiming that DWP / London were Outside IR35. I knew reading the information from these Contractor Forum threads this claim was bloody tuli,p so I let the agent dude talk tulip and just entertained the tulip. I am now the "pumper for information", I am the one putting on the "smile" and talking the jive / jazz talk. Two can play that game.

This week, I have two second stage inside-IR35 interviews to come and I am expecting a second stage in the perm job interview.
                    Last edited by rocktronAMP; 17 February 2020, 14:23. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                      Oh thank you gracing us with your wisdom oh great smug one! No further discussion is required, case closed

Comment

Working...
                      X