• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When I were a lad...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    And back in the day we did not have

Product owners
    Project managers
    Test managers or testers
    Scrum idiots
    Infra guys
    QA

We did all those jobs ourselves, And it all seemed to work, I can count on one hand bug fixes, now bug fixing is the norm for bad programming and testing

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Ee 'eck lad, in my day...

You just sound like someone looking back through rose tinted spectacles at the good old days. The good old days were never as good as people remember.

Things have changed, software development has got more complicated. The old processes don't cut it anymore. I'm no spring chicken myself. I remember the days of waterfall: Consultations lasting several months, reams and reams of specification documents, then you go away into a dark room for 12 months without any contact with the client only to find out at the end of it that the specification has changed and you've got three days to rewrite it. If you honestly think that's better than what we do now then you are clearly just being stubborn and refusing to move with the times.

10000 lines of code per week/10 lines of code per team per week/can count bugs on one hand... you're obviously just picking these numbers out of thin air. If that's really all the bugs you created then you were either doing some incredibly simple work, you were unaware, pr you simply refuse to take responsibility for things that were your fault.

Comment

And back in the day we did not have

Product owners
      Project managers
      Test managers or testers
      Scrum idiots
      Infra guys
      QA

We did all those jobs ourselves, And it all seemed to work, I can count on one hand bug fixes, now bug fixing is the norm for bad programming and testing

10K lines of optimal code a week, less than 5 bug fixes (per project?)

This place is hilarious sometimes.

Comment

Lovely little reminisce down memory lane.

Feck all on the job boards last week. Had one phone call for a perm role.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          10K lines of optimal code a week, less than 5 bug fixes (per project?)

This place is hilarious sometimes.
          You misunderstood

Less than 5 bug fixes in all my projects not per project

Comment

You misunderstood

Less than 5 bug fixes in all my projects not per project

Does this include fixes due to incorrectly communicated requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
              Does this include fixes due to incorrectly communicated requirements?
              Requirements were gathered over a 4 pint lunch mostly

Comment

Requirements were gathered over a 4 pint lunch mostly

And they we're all 100% correct? Nothing needed modifying/changing?

Comment

Absolutely spot on by pauldee in my opinion. I actually put all this down to working practices/methodologies from 2 different environments & 2 different generations/eras.

That's one line of code every 3 seconds, non stop, for 8 hours. I can barely type that fast, so I struggle to think that you were stopping to think about whether you were applying the best approach.
                  You would not have survived in core banking days or cobol and RPG - code still running 85% of all banks world wide
                  I worked on both sides. My current gig is with an investment bank (my second FS gig actually) down at Canary Wharf and I have colleagues who are (believe it or not) staying at their desk all day churning out code after code non stop with a narrowed solution without ever thinking of improvement of their code bases. They have their headphones plucked in and hardly speak to you. They work over 10 hours each day (1st ones in & always last ones out).

I expect I would have been fine. You're comparing things that happened decades ago with modern coding practices.
                  There may still be a lot of Cobol and RPG around but banks are slowly and painfully replacing it in order to stay competitive with the more agile Monzos and fintechs.
                  Conversely, I've also worked on a few smaller-med size companies & startups where they're doing agile - one of them was actually a Monzo competitor who has close links with them (i'll leave you guys to figure out which challenger bank it was). The way they work is as pauldee mentioned already ...

In my personal opinion, and having worked in both different environments, I think in particular Investment Banking branch of FS, their methodologies to build software is maybe a bit outdated. I'm sure they're playing catch up. But as already mentioned, It wiill be slow & painful. I'm just speaking from my experience.

I know i might be making strong acquisations here but dare I say the people here who's been strongly defending the idea of non-stop churning of code is good/measure of ..... actually haven't worked in the modern software building environments & just can't accept the goodness those modern environments brings.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                    Tedious twaddle
                    ... acquisations

A what?

Loving all the yesteryear chat, btw. I think we should change the thread title to "when I were a lad..."

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      A what?

Loving all the yesteryear chat, btw. I think we should change the thread title to "when I were a lad..."
                      Doesn't it just mean - state of the market = not what it used to be.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X