• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is your car tracking you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I will not be buying a new car for a long time.

And it is called big brother...
    My newest car is now 21 years old, it's fun to drive, I can fix it if it breaks, and.... no telemetry.

Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      Does your "old" car have air bags?
      No. But your wife has nice ones....

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
        Yup, the handbook of my mazda says they collect telematics data.
        You’ve read car handbook?

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
          My newest car is now 21 years old, it's fun to drive, I can fix it if it breaks, and.... no telemetry.

It's 10mpg and if it crashes you'll be liquidised, but at least the car will be alright

Comment

Telemetry readings in my lst car strongly suggested it hit a wall...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Telemetry readings in my lst car strongly suggested it hit a wall...
              The bricks on the bonnet and chimney pot through the sunroof were good clues too.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                It's 10mpg and if it crashes you'll be liquidised, but at least the car will be alright
                Mid 20s for mpg usually.

I grew up in a time where most people didn't wet themselves every time they went out for a drive in cars with no ABS, no crumple zones (apart from the passenger compartment) and no airbags.

Since it's an older car, I also don't have the false sense of security that many seem to have these days and hence actually pay attention to what is happening on the road around me.
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

The good old days, single circuit brakes for that feeling of infinite doom on Mumbles road when the brakes failed, a shepherd's crook handbrake under the dash that might have slowed you down a bit before hitting the lamp post, no crumple zones at all, proper chassis seemingly made out of girders, and best of all no fecking seatbelts.

And the wireless had valves in it rather than these new fangled transistors.

It did have a heater as standard though.

Having enjoyed myself watching Death Wish 1 through 5 recently, it's fascinating to see all the things you just couldn't get away with these days, wot with all the telematics, CCTV, bat phones, ANPR, etc. etc.

We would be assassins are gravely disappointed.

Here's one for AtW:

Fiat Seicento SX 3-Door PETROL MANUAL 2002/02 | eBay
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 February 2020, 17:04.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    Modern cars with GPS record data of course, but how do they transmit it back to Ford or whoever, assuming they aren't cellular enabled?

Perhaps covertly, when you connect a phone?
                    TMC. Traffic Management Channel. This updates the road info on your integrated SatNav but it linked to a SIM card within the car somewhere.

I removed mine as the updates were awful. The dealer was unhappy about this and fitted a new one without my knowing. As the glovebox was unlocked when I went to put my cable in I pulled the whole thing off, opened the cover and another SIM had been inserted. Ripped the whole unit out instead and gave it back to the chap instead.

There are instructions online for any VAGroup or Daimler car to do similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                      You'd have liked his alibi - He was in a field having sex with a man! Lying bastard! If he'd said he was in a field having sex with a sheep he would've had more chance of being believed!
                      he was Welsh?
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X