• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is your car tracking you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your car tracking you?

Anglesey crossbow murder: How car technology helped catch a killer - BBC News

Some modern, expensive cars are installed with electronic systems which can track and store information about its movements.

Over the past 10 years, such tracking had become more commonplace in car technology and security systems and could now help with investigations.

Whall may have believed he had covered his tracks by having the Land Rover destroyed, possibly believing any telematics data would also go up in smoke, but his every move had been recorded and stored, back at Jaguar Land Rover.

Yup, the handbook of my mazda says they collect telematics data.

Comment

Keep up BP, it's called a tracker.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Anglesey crossbow murder: How car technology helped catch a killer - BBC News

Some modern, expensive cars are installed with electronic systems which can track and store information about its movements.

Over the past 10 years, such tracking had become more commonplace in car technology and security systems and could now help with investigations.

Whall may have believed he had covered his tracks by having the Land Rover destroyed, possibly believing any telematics data would also go up in smoke, but his every move had been recorded and stored, back at Jaguar Land Rover.
        You'd have liked his alibi - He was in a field having sex with a man! Lying bastard! If he'd said he was in a field having sex with a sheep he would've had more chance of being believed!
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Keep up BP, it's called a tracker.
          I will not be buying a new car for a long time.

And it is called big brother...

Comment

Wife has a Volvo XC90 and yep it tracks your every move which you can see on an app. Even lets you know when the car is left unlocked. Will even have a go at driving itself on the motorway.

Privacy is dead and humans driving cars to follow.

Comment

but his every move had been recorded and stored, back at Jaguar Land Rover
              Why do planes still need black boxes?
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Why do planes still need black boxes?
                because tracking is not their purpose
                Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Modern cars with GPS record data of course, but how do they transmit it back to Ford or whoever, assuming they aren't cellular enabled?

Perhaps covertly, when you connect a phone?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I will not be buying a new car for a long time.

And it is called big brother...
                    Does your "old" car have air bags?

The police can already reconstruct your style of driving from the electronics therein.

HTH.

Schtum; you never saw me. Right?
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                    X