• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stock market - how low will it go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who cares what pension pots are worth? We will all die at our desks anyway.

Comment

I feel almost prescient in that I cashed in a huge chunk of an ISA the week before last at the highest value it's been.

But I did it because I need to use the money elsewhere, not because I had a ****ing clue what the markets were likely to do

Comment

Feeling super smug selling my overpriced Edinburgh property last year. It is now clear to me that was the top of the market. There's an alarming increase of properties lingering on the market with no buyers.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

A pension is long term, if you are checking it every day you are doing it wrong.

Come back in a year or two or five or ten and I bet you'll not even remember this or any other blip
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

2008 was a balance sheet (liquidity) crisis.

2020 is an income statement (earnings) crisis.

Bad balance sheets can be fixed with financial engineering but bad income statements require re-working of business models and supply chains.

Now we are facing too much operating leverage in the real economy with over-optimised supply chains, data-driven pricing management and customer acquisition funnels.

Comment

Stock market?

It’s the stock levels of cans of beans one should be worried about, essential medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                2008 was a balance sheet (liquidity) crisis.

2020 is an income statement (earnings) crisis.

Bad balance sheets can be fixed with financial engineering but bad income statements require re-working of business models and supply chains.

Now we are facing too much operating leverage in the real economy with over-optimised supply chains, data-driven pricing management and customer acquisition funnels.
                And 2% of world population dieing. Stock markets are a ponzi scheme relying on ever increasing humans.

Comment

This corona virus problem will have burned itself out after max 2 years. Then things will return to normal. The ftse 100 was at 7500 two weeks ago. It's now down 8%. Given that its dividend yield is 4.5%, then the 8% drop prices in two years of zero dividends. I think this is probably about right.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                    This corona virus problem will have burned itself out after max 2 years. Then things will return to normal. The ftse 100 was at 7500 two weeks ago. It's now down 8%. Given that its dividend yield is 4.5%, then the 8% drop prices in two years of zero dividends. I think this is probably about right.
                    It’s going to be hard to maintain dividend yields if no trade happening and supply chains stop.

If the music tops number of chairs will be very low

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      A pension is long term, if you are checking it every day you are doing it wrong.

Come back in a year or two or five or ten and I bet you'll not even remember this or any other blip
                      Probably worth pointing out that some of us are a bit closer to the draw down than you young pups.
                      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                      X