• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stock market - how low will it go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to top up my pension this weekend.

I might put that on hold...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I was going to top up my pension this weekend.

I might put that on hold...
      it may be a good time to do just that, if it's in managed funds,and you've plenty of time before retiring.

Comment

Can someone tell me the best UK platform to purchase shares? I haven't bought since 2008 and I've forgotten what site I used to use, plus there are probably better options now.

I'm a bit slow so I need a nice easy to use UI.

Comment

I use HLco.uk, so far happy - big enough firm to give confidence it won’t go bust suddenly...

Comment

Out drinking tonight, mate has lost £85K this week from his pot and looking like he will hit £100K on Monday

These are with major provider !!!! And he is nearly ready to cash in!!

Cheltenham here I come if still on !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Only lost money if sold, might take few years to recover to old valuations tho

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                Out drinking tonight, mate has lost £85K this week from his pot and looking like he will hit £100K on Monday

These are with major provider !!!! And he is nearly ready to cash in!!

Cheltenham here I come if still on !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                Did his pot start at £100k?

Its only pct losses that count. Anyone near retirement should be switching to bonds anyway....

Comment

The bond market might seems like an obvious choice but the dollar isn't doing that well either. You'd think US debt would be like a magnet at the minute. However the euro is pulling away from the dollar at this time..

Coronavirus scare highlights euro role in new ‘carry trade’

I'd increase my exposure to commodities before going into bonds, for the only reason being commodities are very undervalued.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    The bond market might seems like an obvious choice but the dollar isn't doing that well either. You'd think US debt would be like a magnet at the minute. However the euro is pulling away from the dollar at this time..

Coronavirus scare highlights euro role in new ‘carry trade’

I'd increase my exposure to commodities before going into bonds, for the only reason being commodities are very undervalued.
                    Not sure if that was in response to my post or not? But I was not talking about current market. Just in general. 5 years prior to retirement I will start switching.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X