• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are DSS people now a protected group?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are DSS people now a protected group?

Legal victories over 'No DSS' letting agents - BBC News

Hardly.

I think this is a very important ruling. People in receipt of housing benefit often are only able to access the dodgiest of accommodation and the worst landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Hardly.

I think this is a very important ruling. People in receipt of housing benefit often are only able to access the dodgiest of accommodation and the worst landlords.
      I wonder why

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Hardly.

I agree. Though I think housing for most people, especially the young, is way too high.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          I wonder why

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
          Well generally because they do not respect the property, treat it like tulip and expect everyone else to pick up the bill..

But then I think you knew that...

Nothing like a bit of stereotyping!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Well generally because they do not respect the property, treat it like tulip and expect everyone else to pick up the bill..

But then I think you knew that...

Nothing like a bit of stereotyping!
            And since the DSS started paying housing benefit directly to the claimant instead of the landlord, a lot of them think they don't have to pay their rent either.
            If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              I wonder why
              Because posh middle class landlords are scared of chavs
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

When you get BTL insurance, only a few insurer will cover DSS tenants which makes it a bit more of a pain as a landlord. I wonder if insurers will be forbidden to make this clause in future?

It's definitely a vicious circle though. Landlords treat tenants like crap and make no effort to look after the house, which only reinforces the view the house doesn't need looking after.

Myself and a few friends have talked about being 'social landlords' - we live in an area you can get a house for £30-50k - you still charge rent but care for your tenants to help them learn. Of course it means putting your money where your mouth is and a lot of stress and setbacks. So we haven't done it so far But a local charity actually does something like this - they buy/acquire a run-down place and then 'employ' down & outs to train them to do it up, then one of them lives in it. Seen some real transformations in people, a charity that's genuinely making a tangible difference.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So she's a fairly low minority of DSS people that have fallen on genuine hard times and I am sure it will be temporary. I'm sure she will be a fabulous tenant.

As mentioned though, she will be in a low minority. Many of the others are lifelong DSS and an utter nightmare that no one wants. Even as a landlord I'd agree the complete ban is unfair on some people but it's the only way we've got to avoid the large majority of the DSS people that are complete wasters and will destroy your property.

If there could be some other measures or a 3 strike rule that sticks on a record landlords could see or something similar then it might be easier for this lady. Until then she is going to have to thank the DSS majority of her situation.
                  (cue the wails of do gooders complaining about a 3 strike rule or any record of bad behavior for the dross)
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hardly.

For good reasons in some cases. Some of them only have themselves to blame and people like this ladies then get tarred with the same brush. Blanket ban maybe unfair but the way to balance this will be even more unpopular with the wailing lefties.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X