• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy Lawyers and the Party Wall Act

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy Lawyers and the Party Wall Act

My neighbours are planning to build an extension, the same house from an old thread. That's not important.

My question is that after the plans were published on the council website, I have received several letters from law firms and surveyors offering to do surveys and stuff to ensure my rights are protected under the party wall act. Apparently my neighbour will have to pay for everything. I'm wondering if I should sign up with one of them, or find my own, or just not worry about it.

For background, I'm not against this extension as it was designed to pass through as much light as possible and is not as bad as it could be. He's been reasonable about talking to us and letting us know his plans. His extension is only near the fence, not touching it. So I don't want him to get unnecessarily ripped off by dodgy lawyers, and I wouldn't put it past those dodgy lawyers to somehow rip me off as well.

What should I do? Is it normal to get a lawyer for this kind of thing?

Ever heard of Google?

This will tell you everything you need to know What is the Party Wall Act? | Homebuilding & Renovating
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Get a lawyer to check any contract you plan to sign with lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Ever heard of Google?

This will tell you everything you need to know What is the Party Wall Act? | Homebuilding & Renovating
        Thanks, I have heard of Google.

Comment

Aside: I am planning the same sort of thing with my neighbours. Please think about having a proper wall built along the boundary so that you can extend against this wall if you ever want to. This will make sure that there is no nasty gap between the two extensions.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
            My neighbours are planning to build an extension, the same house from an old thread. That's not important.

My question is that after the plans were published on the council website, I have received several letters from law firms and surveyors offering to do surveys and stuff to ensure my rights are protected under the party wall act. Apparently my neighbour will have to pay for everything. I'm wondering if I should sign up with one of them, or find my own, or just not worry about it.

For background, I'm not against this extension as it was designed to pass through as much light as possible and is not as bad as it could be. He's been reasonable about talking to us and letting us know his plans. His extension is only near the fence, not touching it. So I don't want him to get unnecessarily ripped off by dodgy lawyers, and I wouldn't put it past those dodgy lawyers to somehow rip me off as well.

What should I do? Is it normal to get a lawyer for this kind of thing?
            I have had loads of these issues with various properties, including coming back from Europe to find a neighbour's extension encroaching over the red line.

Don't believe the BS about your neighbour has to pay your costs nor do you need a lawyer. Use you common sense. If needed get a. RICS surveyor not a lawyer. BTW, planning permission does not mean that your neighbour has the right to trespass on your property. The party Wall Act has strict limitations, best read it yourself and understand it.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If neighbours have hotwife make sure they have plenty of glass in extension

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Don't use the ones who are spamming you, if you still have the contact details for your solicitor who you used when you bought your house, it might be worth while checking with them, or better yet a surveyor.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  Aside: I am planning the same sort of thing with my neighbours. Please think about having a proper wall built along the boundary so that you can extend against this wall if you ever want to. This will make sure that there is no nasty gap between the two extensions.
                  So basically joining two detached properties to make a nice friendly semidetached? Sounds cosy and neighbourly, and can only boost the value of both properties

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                    So basically joining two detached properties to make a nice friendly semidetached? Sounds cosy and neighbourly, and can only boost the value of both properties
                    They'd be classed as "Linked-detached", which has very little negative bearing on value.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X