• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life : 100% will die.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body replication such as 'downloading into a computer' won't transfer your consciousness, so in effect you will die and a copy will continue. Same as what happens during Star Trek teleportation.

The solution to death is body regeneration, that already happens. Our body mostly replaces itself via new cells over 7 to 10 years. They will manage to stop the ageing process so that regeneration brings everlasting life, though death is still possible same as now.

The ageing process could be due to DNA mutation, so one solution may be to capture the DNA of newborns and somehow ensure all new cell regeneration uses that original DNA version, perhaps by stem cell replacement on a regular basis. e.g. a sleep chamber that rolls back DNA mutation each night, so sleep will be even more refreshing than now.

Sadly wild animal eating Chinese virus transfer, religious nutters with nukes, an asteroid hit, alien invasion, or all of them, will bring human civilisation to an end or knock it back to the stone age (again ) before we reach immortality from death by natural causes.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Body replication such as 'downloading into a computer' won't transfer your consciousness, so in effect you will die and a copy will continue. Same as what happens during Star Trek teleportation.

The solution to death is body regeneration, that already happens. Our body mostly replaces itself via new cells over 7 to 10 years. They will manage to stop the ageing process so that regeneration brings everlasting life, though death is still possible same as now.

The ageing process could be due to DNA mutation, so one solution may be to capture the DNA of newborns and somehow ensure all new cell regeneration uses that original DNA version, perhaps by stem cell replacement on a regular basis. e.g. a sleep chamber that rolls back DNA mutation each night, so sleep will be even more refreshing than now.

Sadly wild animal eating Chinese virus transfer, religious nutters with nukes, an asteroid hit, alien invasion, or all of them, will bring human civilisation to an end or knock it back to the stone age (again ) before we reach immortality from death by natural causes.

You are correct, forgot to mention the bio-engineering side of things, nanobots, DNA manipulation, Cloning etc.

Considering how overpopulated the planet is, even if we start going out in space, do we really want to live forever? It will be like in Altered Carbon, the rich becoming so much richer and living forever, God complex and all that.

Like you said, we'll most likely not get to that point due to all the factors mentioned.
      Last edited by Drei; 28 February 2020, 13:27.

Comment

It has been said that the first person to live to 1000 years is already amongst us.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          It has been said that the first person to live to 1000 years is already amongst us.
          My money is on Keith Richards. Done every drug known to man and still keeps going.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
            Indeed - assuming you can trust this man

Living to 1,000: The man who says science will soon defeat ageing

Comment

No-one makes it passed 120. The only person who said they did was actually the daughter - pretended to be mother to escape IHT.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                No-one makes it passed 120. The only person who said they did was actually the daughter - pretended to be mother to escape IHT.
                I'm more interested in them creating replacement bodies, with brain transplants into robocop style endoskeletons. No point living 'forever' if they find the cure to death when our bodies are already knackered. Need to be able to replace failing parts with plug and play simplicity. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Comment

I'll just fulfil my ambitions to return as a zombie. Version that eats ladies' bottoms instead of brains obviously.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    I'm more interested in them creating replacement bodies, with brain transplants into robocop style endoskeletons. No point living 'forever' if they find the cure to death when our bodies are already knackered. Need to be able to replace failing parts with plug and play simplicity. I'd buy that for a dollar.
                    Or perhaps we can download our brains into another body? Sort of thing that has been touched on in Black Mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      I'll just fulfil my ambitions to return as a zombie. Version that eats ladies' bottoms instead of brains obviously.
                      That is why there is a law saying all corpses must be buried with shoes on with the shoelaces tied together.....

Comment

Working...
                      X