• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cataract surgery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck Nat, but if it doesnt go well I'm sure all of us at CUK will chip in for this...

Braille courses for adults - RNIB - See differently

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Anothe reason NOT to do it until the time it right is because if you have to do another operation on that eye then risks go up exponentially apparently, and cataract can come back apparently...

Don't assume that you'll recover very quickly: in theory it's routine, but budget for at least 4 weeks recovery, 6 more likely - not worth taking risks.

I would not have done it if it wasn't at serious dense stage, best not to lead to that but if it's just a little blurry - don't rush it, cataracts don't spread over a week like virus, monitor it regularly until it's "ripe", and avoid pandemics...
      I wouldn't think cataract could return. Cataract is a condition of the intra ocular lens. Cataract surgery replaces this with an artificial lens.

The concept of 'ripeness' is outdated. Visual function is typically the indicator of when to have surgery. How is it impacting on your life, which will be different between a watchmaker and someone who just likes to watch telly. Safety, such as driving or risk if falls is also important.

But in essence, get it done if it's bothering you.

Comment

Have you asked your accountant?

Comment

My accountant/optician/opthamologist/dentist/astrologer says that it's kind of urgent. It's mostly interfering with my close vision to an annoying extent. Long vision is fine, and they've said I can still drive until the op, as the left eye is unaffected. Toric lenses cost up to £3000, and are an option. My insurance only pays for the monofocal, but hey, I'm a stinking rich contractor. I've got a preparatory discussion in a couple of weeks to go through all the options with the surgeon.

No sign of macular degeneration or glaucoma, which is definitely a good thing.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I went for Toric, all went well but expect different brightness/colourgamma - it takes some time to get used to, I’d follow what doctor says corrected by covid-19 situation, I might have just done it before tulip hits the fan...

Comment

I went for Toric, all went well but expect different brightness/colourgamma
              Do the have a gaming mode like my monitor?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Only strip poker mode but then he is back to how he got in this state in the first place.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It’s much brighter - depends on 2nd eye I guess, but expect period of getting used to being longer

Comment

I had to tone down my monitor’s brightness to minimum - apparently might take to 3 months to get used to, I suspect it’s harder if just one eye is done

Comment

I went for Toric, all went well but expect different brightness/colourgamma - ..
                      And walls won't look like walls.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X