• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cataract surgery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had elective surgery to replace both lenses due to strong myopia and astigmatism and worsening presbyopia. The clinic did detect the beginnings of a cataract in my right lens but was at least a decade if ever from needing surgery.

I went for single vision toric lenses. Chose not to go for the monovision option (One eye for distance and another for reading) as this caused me headaches when it was my only option for contact lenses (they didn't make monthly disposables strong enough for my left eye at the time). Later when stronger lenses came out I wore them for about 10 years.

I've now gone from needing glasses to cross the road safely or even recognise a friend standing more than 2 feet away to brilliant long distance vision and only needing 3 pairs of reading glasses (book, laptop, desktop) plus some bifocals for cycling to read my garmin.

Cost me about £7k for both eyes which I had done at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      period of getting used to being longer
      So pretty much like nlady’s penis op.

Comment

...but expect period of getting used to being longer
        ... I suspect it’s harder if just one eye is done
        So, I'll be longer and harder. Got it.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          So, I'll be longer and harder. Got it.
          I thought that you were just getting your eyes done?
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I saw the eye doc today. I've cataracts on both eyes, so they're going to do both. With a week between then. First op is Wednesday next week. After a month, I'll be able to drive again, without glasses. I'll only need reading glasses. I'm pretty happy about that! ?

Comment

With the lockdown it was delayed. But this morning I had my right eye done at 07:15. Currently got a patch over that eye that will be removed tomorrow.

Apparently, because I've got really crap eyes, the best they can offer is an accuracy of 1 diopter. So the surgeon is aim at -1 for the right eye and -2 for the left. If it ends up a 0, -2 then I'll be able to drive without glasses, and still read the dashboard. It'll be a month before my final prescription is known to sufficient accuracy. Left eye is scheduled for two weeks' time.

I've been told not to read or use a computer until the patch is off. But there's only so much daytime viewing I can manage...

Comment

With the lockdown it was delayed. But this morning I had my right eye done at 07:15. Currently got a patch over that eye that will be removed tomorrow.

Apparently, because I've got really crap eyes, the best they can offer is an accuracy of 1 diopter. So the surgeon is aim at -1 for the right eye and -2 for the left. If it ends up a 0, -2 then I'll be able to drive without glasses, and still read the dashboard. It'll be a month before my final prescription is known to sufficient accuracy. Left eye is scheduled for two weeks' time.

I've been told not to read or use a computer until the patch is off. But there's only so much daytime viewing I can manage...
                Good luck with the recovery!

Comment

well that explains your moderation skills, you are fecking blind

get well soon old chap!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Good luck with the recovery!
                    I know 2 people (not friends) that went into hospital for

Fell and hurt hip
                    DIY accident- broken collar bone

Both caught coronavirus!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      I know 2 people (not friends) that went into hospital for

Fell and hurt hip
                      DIY accident- broken collar bone

Both caught coronavirus!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      Ah there's our little rain cloud coming in to block any ray of sunshine

Comment

Working...
                      X