• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronatractor Shutdowns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronatractor Shutdowns

Munich client:
    All permanent staff to WFH or take paid leave if their role is not WFHable. Good luck with that - the VPN licensing is capped at 5000 due to very poor VPN concentrator capacity implementation. The capacity failover is fully manual with a cable. Idiots.

Contractors can come in if they wish but pay is discretionary, in lieu of timesheets being singed, which will not happen for at least four weeks. We had a vote within the team I'm running, the transformation program, and it's 9 votes to 4 to throw in the towel whilst we can still have mobility back to home/families/wherever appropriate. I'm happy it was resolved easily by vote as the client showed reticence to accept work was being completed when I negotiated options.

The news suggests containment measures are being upgraded here, so it's probably for the best to allow people being stuck in Munich rather than outer suburbia if lockdown occurs. I've spoken to a friend who suggests the newspapers are blowing it out of proportion in London, but it sounds like naivety to assume this won't hit the UK and spread as rapidly as it has elsewhere. In two minds about coming back, although I currently feel good. May self isolate in the cottage in the Highlands of Scotland for a week or two as I am less blasé than most, having experienced the lockdown during SARs.

If anybody else has client experience, may be worth posting here to keep tabs. Germany seems ahead of the UK on the beginnings of work place shutdowns so I expect you'll see it shortly.

Best wishes to all and hope everybody remains illness free.

Another boring as tulip fantasy from Gricer...

Comment

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I wasn't going to dignify this trash with a reply, but:

I'm not the puppet of anyone. I work in management consulting and transformation programmes and therefore work for multiple clients simultaneously. This programme has been a dog, initially 14 months and now 22 months. Unfortunately my name is unique and I don't terminate contracts half way through just because they involve struggle.

I see you are PSCONT reincarnated, in spirit if not nomenclature - what with your inherent negativity throughout your posts; hope the dark clouds lift one day for you.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Another boring as tulip fantasy from Gricer...
        Rodger is gricer?

That explains a lot, I just assumed he was a knob

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

At least Scooty's vacuum cleaner gets a rest for the next few days...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            At least Scooty's vacuum cleaner gets a rest for the next few days...
            Buy DagCoin and OneCoin.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
              Buy DagCoin and OneCoin.
              Ruja Ignatova, says "Hi, Welcome to..."
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                Munich client:
                All permanent staff to WFH or take paid leave if their role is not WFHable. Good luck with that - the VPN licensing is capped at 5000 due to very poor VPN concentrator capacity implementation. The capacity failover is fully manual with a cable. Idiots.

Contractors can come in if they wish but pay is discretionary, in lieu of timesheets being singed, which will not happen for at least four weeks. We had a vote within the team I'm running, the transformation program, and it's 9 votes to 4 to throw in the towel whilst we can still have mobility back to home/families/wherever appropriate. I'm happy it was resolved easily by vote as the client showed reticence to accept work was being completed when I negotiated options.

The news suggests containment measures are being upgraded here, so it's probably for the best to allow people being stuck in Munich rather than outer suburbia if lockdown occurs. I've spoken to a friend who suggests the newspapers are blowing it out of proportion in London, but it sounds like naivety to assume this won't hit the UK and spread as rapidly as it has elsewhere. In two minds about coming back, although I currently feel good. May self isolate in the cottage in the Highlands of Scotland for a week or two as I am less blasé than most, having experienced the lockdown during SARs.

If anybody else has client experience, may be worth posting here to keep tabs. Germany seems ahead of the UK on the beginnings of work place shutdowns so I expect you'll see it shortly.

Best wishes to all and hope everybody remains illness free.
                Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

One of the many benefits of being 100% WFH ..... don't have to worry about this kind of thing. Not great though if you can't do your role remotely, and the client is risk averse.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    One of the many benefits of being 100% WFH
                    I agree, I thank my lucky stars every day.

This tickled my funny bone,

Nation turns to Warhammer players for advice on how to stay at home for two weeks

Comment

Working...
                    X