• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

456 Positive Covid-19 in UK as of 11th March

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If you check the statistics you'll notice that the vast majority study "useful" subjects, removing media studies wouldn't make much difference.

In China enrolment to higher education is around 50% as well. A modern economy needs a higher level of education.
    If you think what happens in China is relevant (completely different culture and society), then I suggest you watch that TV documentary that followed Chinese teachers coming to a UK school and how astounded they were with the laziness and unwillingness to learn of the kids.

I don't agree with you. My Googling is showing, in order of most popular. (MM = Mickey Mouse degree)

1) Business management. We are crying out for 21 year old managers with no experience lol
    2) Law. Good if demand is there
    3) Sociology - MM degree
    4) Art - MM degree
    5) IT - Cool
    6) Psychology - MM degree
    7) Education - those who can't, teach
    8) Nursing. Degree in changing bed pans and taking temperatures
    9) Bio sciences - depends. Apparently marine biology very popular lol
    10) History- MM degree

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      If you think what happens in China is relevant (completely different culture and society), then I suggest you watch that TV documentary that followed Chinese teachers coming to a UK school and how astounded they were with the laziness and unwillingness to learn of the kids.

I don't agree with you. My Googling is showing, in order of most popular. (MM = Mickey Mouse degree)

1) Business management. We are crying out for 21 year old managers with no experience lol
      2) Law. Good if demand is there
      3) Sociology - MM degree
      4) Art - MM degree
      5) IT - Cool
      6) Psychology - MM degree
      7) Education - those who can't, teach
      8) Nursing. Degree in changing bed pans and taking temperatures
      9) Bio sciences - depends. Apparently marine biology very popular lol
      10) History- MM degree
      ...and then there are the facts

Higher Education Student Statistics: UK, 2017/18 - Qualifications achieved | HESA

No doubt you'll label whole categories as MM when they aren't.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        Let's hope things said in both articles are true. Old folks and people who have health issues (hence genetically weaker) are just a hindrance for any country.
        You have no effing clue what you're talking about

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          Struck a nerve? Did some old bastards in your family catch the virus? Maybe go visit them and do us a favour, weako

Comment

Struck a nerve? Did some old bastards in your family catch the virus? Maybe go visit them and do us a favour, weako
            Give your head a shake, my mother got pneumonia a few years back and is currently operating with one and half lungs, amongst other things she worked on electronics for the Apollo project. There are millions like her, who have contributed greatly to society and deserve a peaceful and enjoyable old age.

They deserve it, and if we stop operating like that and start culling people at 70 I am sure you will be the first to get yourself off to the death camp when your number is up.
            Last edited by PlanB; 8 March 2020, 08:35.

Comment

Let's hope things said in both articles are true. Old folks and people who have health issues (hence genetically weaker) are just a hindrance for any country.
              You've said it once. To keep saying it is just trolling. I suggest you shut up.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  ...and then there are the facts

Higher Education Student Statistics: UK, 2017/18 - Qualifications achieved | HESA

No doubt you'll label whole categories as MM when they aren't.
                  Well I labeled ones that I thought were, and the stats you have linked to virtually mirror the ones I typed out.

So what is your point? Business studies being overwhelmingly the most sought after degree. Are we short of 21 year old no experience managers? Yes or no?

Creative arts @ 60,000. Double that of computer science. Do we need twice as many people who learned how to batik rather than program a computer? lol

I also noticed from your list that "subjects allied to medicine" @ 132k looked good. But then right at the bottom you see real "Medicine and dentistry" @ 18.5K. The 132K is probably makeup, massage, pedicures etc
                  Last edited by escapeUK; 8 March 2020, 11:14.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    Well I labeled ones that I thought were, and the stats you have linked to virtually mirror the ones I typed out.

So what is your point? Business studies being overwhelmingly the most sought after degree. Are we short of 21 year old no experience managers? Yes or no?

Creative arts @ 60,000. Double that of computer science. Do we need twice as many people who learned how to batik rather than program a computer? lol

I also noticed from your list that "subjects allied to medicine" @ 132k looked good. But then right at the bottom you see real "Medicine and dentistry" @ 18.5K. The 132K is probably makeup, massage, pedicures etc
                    Yes

Business Majors Dominate List of Top Majors in Demand

The top majors in demand this year are finance, accounting, and business administration/management, followed by computer science. (See Figure 1.) The only other technical major on the list is information sciences and systems, which falls seventh in terms of demand.
                    In any case computer science is a bit of a noddy degree, real software engineers study engineering, physics or mathematics.

..and nurses don't change bed pans in a modern economy
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      ^This. I fear the troll might still be feeling hungry though...
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X