• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

456 Positive Covid-19 in UK as of 11th March

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you; I'm merely saying that we imported infected patients back into care homes, care homes have a very high proportion of vulnerable people, and we have a high death rate in care homes.

I agree that care homes should be environments that cope with viruses, but clearly they can't.
    Agreed.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      Agreed.

I'm in total agreement with both of you.

Hopefully they'll be better prepared for next winter.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        34,000? Are you sure?

According to the ONS, it was over 33,800 up to 30th April. So to get to 34,000 would mean we're averaging 10 a day since then.
        And that's based on the figures that we know of.
        Then again, last time I checked, the UK figures are over 3,000 new cases per day, so it's not exactly under control either.
        It's 34716 registered Corona linked deaths in the UK as of this morning

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          It's 34716 registered Corona linked deaths in the UK as of this morning

That's not the ONS figures, that the DHSC figures.

On 30th April, DHSC were reporting 26,771 total dead in the UK.
          ONS base it on the date of death, so a death that took place in April but wasn't reported until 5th May would be included in their figures.
          ONS figures to 30th April were 33,841
          Since 30th April, DHSC have reported about 8,000 deaths.

Even if all deaths reported to DHSC up to 5th May were actually April ones, there's still over 5,000 to add on.

Comment

That's not the ONS figures, that the DHSC figures.

On 30th April, DHSC were reporting 26,771 total dead in the UK.
            ONS base it on the date of death, so a death that took place in April but wasn't reported until 5th May would be included in their figures.
            ONS figures to 30th April were 33,841
            Since 30th April, DHSC have reported about 8,000 deaths.

Even if all deaths reported to DHSC up to 5th May were actually April ones, there's still over 5,000 to add on.
            Let me guess, arts degree?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Let me guess, arts degree?

R14 | BA (Hons) Arts and Humanities | Open University
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Which bit is wrong, so far?

With no measures, it would be around 1.4 million (or as you lied, “2 million”)
                With basic hygiene, drops to 900,000

With social distancing, drops to around 110,000

Like I said all along
                Looks like I was wrong.

Comment

6 March 2020, 15:44 -

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  ..... out of 20,338 tested

Create a news story and suddenly the NHS gets swamped by idiots all in a panic that they have the virus

163 out of 20,338 tested ... what a waste of resources!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    6 March 2020, 15:44 -

Hindsight ... isn't it great
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Meanwhile, NZ are still chasing covid-zero

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58241619

New Zealand has announced a snap lockdown after a man tested positive for Covid, the first case in six months.

The case was detected in Auckland, which will be in lockdown for a week, while the rest of the country will be in lockdown for three days.

Authorities say they are working on the assumption that the new case was the Delta variant.

Just around 20% of its population has been fully vaccinated.

Coromandel, a coastal town where the infected person had visited, will be in lockdown for seven days too.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the toughest "level 4" rules were required - closing schools, offices and all businesses with only essential services remaining operational.

"I want to assure New Zealand that we have planned for this eventuality. Going hard and early has worked for us before," she said.

The patient is a 58-year-old man, who is believed to have been infectious since last Thursday.

There are at least 23 potential sites of transmission.

Comment

Working...
                      X