• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home due to coronavirus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from home due to coronavirus

Hi, I wish to work from home whilst coronavirus is a threat, however my customer says this is not possible as there is no remote access to secure network.

I have said that I can work in other activities eg documentation, familiarisation with system, online training to improve my skills etc, but customer says no I must be on site?

This is not fair, other employees working on non secure area are free to work from home? Is this discrimination and would I have a case for grievance procedure?

Originally posted by saurabh1 View Post
    Hi, I wish to work from home whilst coronavirus is a threat, however my customer says this is not possible as there is no remote access to secure network.

I have said that I can work in other activities eg documentation, familiarisation with system, online training to improve my skills etc, but customer says no I must be on site?

This is not fair, other employees working on non secure area are free to work from home? Is this discrimination and would I have a case for grievance procedure?
    Um.. I presume you are also an employee. I don't believe there are any cases of contractors successfully pursuing a grievance...

Comment

I'm not sure where to start with this, are you saying you want to have the same rights and treatment as an employee? You are a company providing services to another company no?

If you don't like the deal, see if you can go PAYE with them.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarledcontractor View Post
        Um.. I presume you are also an employee. I don't believe there are any cases of contractors successfully pursuing a grievance...
        I am a contractor via umbrella,

Comment

Tweet your plight to social media

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

That is awful mate, and sounds like you're being treated differently compared to the other contractors. You definitely need to stand up for your rights here. This virus is deadly, and everyone should take it really serious. Probably best to raise this with HR first and see what they say.

Let us know how you get on as I'm sure others will benefit from your experiences.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Oops. Looks like the end of this rant then..... oh.. there is more?

Why on gods green earth do you think the client will pay you to improve your personal skills?
              This is not fair, other employees working on non secure area are free to work from home?

Dry your eyes mate.

Is this discrimination and would I have a case for grievance procedure?
              No it's not and I think you know that because only an idiot would really ask this.

No you are not. You are clueless permie who happens to have fallen in to a contract role somehow and should hand your notice in to let a contractor that is actually a contractor get off the bench.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 6 March 2020, 16:16.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

An employee with no rights, the worst of all worlds as you have found out.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Oops. Looks like the end of this rant then..... oh.. there is more?

Why on gods green earth do you think the client will pay you to improve your personal skills?

Dry your eyes mate.

No it's not. and you are a bit of an idiot.

Hand your notice in and let a contractor that is actually a contractor get off the bench.
                  Rubbish advice like this is exactly why contractors are treated differently saurabh1 - ignore this and stand up for your rights. NLUK has no idea what he's talking about .... show him how wrong he is!
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Rubbish advice like this is exactly why contractors are treated differently saurabh1 - ignore this and stand up for your rights. NLUK has no idea what he's talking about .... show him how wrong he is!

Comment

Working...
                    X