• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decriminalisation of sex workers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    1. Investment in support services benefits everyone and not just one specific demographic.

2. Perpetuates patriarchal entitlement to women's (and men's, Brother*) bodies.

* Life of Brian.
    I agree with your first point but my point was you are never going to get taxpayers/voters to agree to fund support services targeted at prostitutes.

I think its terrible that our support services are so underfunded, but at least if prostitutes are taxed they at least have some legitimacy in demanding support for their industry.

Not even going down the route of discussing the patriarchal tulipe.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I think its terrible that our support services are so underfunded, but at least if prostitutes are taxed they at least have some legitimacy in demanding support for their industry.
      We pay tax; how's that working out for us?
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

We pay tax; how's that working out for us?
        We aree not paying our fair amount.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Not even going down the route of discussing the patriarchal tulipe.
          Never engage someone getting offended on someone else's behalf who's taking on the role of a defender or protector. Especially when it's a man doing it on behalf of women.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            Never engage someone getting offended on someone else's behalf who's taking on the role of a defender or protector. Especially when it's a man doing it on behalf of women.
            Indeed.

On that note, who has the keys to the outrage bus? I looked on the peg and they're not there!
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              So, who would you suggest address patriarchal entitlement? Should men just ignore it in the hope that it goes away? Surely it is our responsibility to address the shortcomings within our own social group?
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Would prossies working at brothels be affected by IR35?
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Would prossies working at brothels be affected by IR35?
                  Well they are likely to be under direction and control but am sure RoS is fine
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So, who would you suggest address patriarchal entitlement? Should men just ignore it in the hope that it goes away? Surely it is our responsibility to address the shortcomings within our own social group?
                    Are you suggesting women aren't up to that and need men to do it for them?
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Its not clear to me what what the sex workers are fighting for. Sex laws in the UK are very liberal. A woman can legally work from home, or a hotel room by herself. Not bad for safety, although Brothels are illegal. In fact the sex laws in the UK are much more liberal than the US, and many parts of Europe.

What do the women want? The right to work from a Brothel? But then, who wants a brothel on their street? Thats the problem, nobody wants a brothel on their street. Which is why sex work does not take place in legal brothels here. Would you want a brothel on your street?

Comment

Working...
                      X