• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decriminalisation of sex workers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I'm sure it's an effort with you...
    I thought I was good in bed until I found out she has asthma.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The title of this post is misleading. “Decriminalisation” of what? It’s legal in the UK for women to work at home or a hotel. The only illegal things are brothels, pimping, and kerb crawling.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by rossb2 View Post
        The title of this post is misleading. “Decriminalisation” of what? It’s legal in the UK for women to work at home or a hotel. The only illegal things are brothels, pimping, and kerb crawling.
        Very knowledgeable.....
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Do you?
          I do know the sex industry well yes, at many different levels.

It does. Jolie is begin to sound like one of those young lefties who think opposition to prostitution is anti-feminist.
          Sorry, but wildy wrong! I am a more liberal center rightie.

I live in a country where prostitution is legal. It's still not safe and there's a lot of criminal involvement and activity. Many foreign women are, by virtue of Schengen, rotated every three months into a new country. Their pimps have their passports. For those who have more choice in the matter, many still feel trapped as the alternative is poverty. Source: I know a doctor who during her free time tries to help and support women in prostitution - sexual health advice, as well as counselling and should they want to, support in getting out.
          Prostitution is not illegal in the UK, soliciting and running a brothel is illegal, and because of this, not being able to work together is what puts them at increased riisk. There will always be a criminal element in any business, whether legal or not. However, I would argue that the criminal element is not sex work, it's people trafficking and slavery, fueled by drug addiction, which is a different issue.

Decriminalisation of prostitution will make prostitution will less unsafe and perhaps not quite so violent and controlling. Therefore it should be done. At least in the UK, the semi-legal trafficking won't be such an issue.
          +1 this.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            What do CUKers think of this one:

International Women’s Day: This is why sex workers are striking in London | The Independent

All in favour meself. This is never going to go away and making so many aspects illegal is forcing women to work in unsafe conditions. Recognise it as a job, like any other service, and it can be monitored and checked just as cafes, shops etc are to prevent exploitation. Someone can contact police if necessary without feeling they are liable to be arrested themselves.
            We shouldn't legalise things because we can't stop them happening, but because they're not wrong. Pedophilia, theft, GBH, murder...
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              We shouldn't legalise things because we can't stop them happening, but because they're not wrong. Pedophilia, theft, GBH, murder...
              Criminalise the Johns. Simple.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Criminalise the Johns. Simple.
                Always strikes me as odd when it's legal to provide a service but illegal to purchase it, or vice versa.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
                  I do know the sex industry well yes, at many different levels.

Sorry, but wildy wrong! I am a more liberal center rightie.

Prostitution is not illegal in the UK, soliciting and running a brothel is illegal, and because of this, not being able to work together is what puts them at increased riisk. There will always be a criminal element in any business, whether legal or not. However, I would argue that the criminal element is not sex work, it's people trafficking and slavery, fueled by drug addiction, which is a different issue.

+1 this.
                  Prostitutes don’t have to work together to be safe. A prostitute could hire a body guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by rossb2 View Post
                    Prostitutes don’t have to work together to be safe. A prostitute could hire a body guard.
                    Not possible for those who are most vulnerable and on the lowest incomes. Again, a number of women working together are more likely to be able to afford protection.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Agreed. The issue isn't about what's not wrong, prostitution is not illegal, it's the way it's carried out that's illegal. Some will say that prostitution is morally wrong, but that doesn't make it illegal.

You could argue that the basis of something being wrong and therefore should be illegal needs to be based on some simple logic. Does it harm someone, is there a victim and does it directly affect you?

Most legal prostitution happens behind closed doors with consenting adults and it does not impact anyone. The same can't be said for street prostitution.

Comment

Working...
                      X