• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official Budget 2020 thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Contractor? I'm a small business owner, the managing director! Aren't you?

To be honest the amount is so pathetic, I was earning more as a teenager in my first week of work decades ago.
    Not worth the hassle imo. Unless you have no money, obviously

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      Errr.... where's all the money coming from?
      Go to the bathroom, just above the sink there should be a silvery bit of glass. Look into it, you'll see the answer.
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Have just been shoved into umbrella as couldn't afford bench anymore. Umbrella company inform me that they aren't yet sure how they'd financially be able to cover SSP.
        After 4 months on bench & with tax to pay soon, no reserves. Wouldn't be able to survive on £95 a week. Rate is already £50pd lower than last outside rate as it is with more travel expenses.
        So if 80% of contractors in an umbrella needed two weeks SSP, and umbrella can't claim it back as more than 250 employees, won't many go under? I've gone with one of the bigger ones recommended on agency list.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Flat rate deduction for home working increasing by 50% to 6 quid per week. Weeee!
          Happy days

Comment

Any nasties in the red book about ER?

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
              Any nasties in the red book about ER?
              Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by koalah View Post
                Have just been shoved into umbrella as couldn't afford bench anymore. Umbrella company inform me that they aren't yet sure how they'd financially be able to cover SSP.
                After 4 months on bench & with tax to pay soon, no reserves. Wouldn't be able to survive on £95 a week. Rate is already £50pd lower than last outside rate as it is with more travel expenses.
                So if 80% of contractors in an umbrella needed two weeks SSP, and umbrella can't claim it back as more than 250 employees, won't many go under? I've gone with one of the bigger ones recommended on agency list.
                You are aware the umbrella company won't be able to deduct your travel expenses and you will need to pay them from your taxed income?
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  You are aware the umbrella company won't be able to deduct your travel expenses and you will need to pay them from your taxed income?
                  Yes I was aware. One of the reasons I'm going to have to do a much longer bus commute as train is 8 times the price.
                  I'm fairly up to speed on the differences. I was always outside before, and left a role when they banned contractors so this is a new role and it is definitely an inside one as it's covering an existing role in the interim for an unknown length of time.

Comment

Originally posted by koalah View Post
                    Yes I was aware. One of the reasons I'm going to have to do a much longer bus commute as train is 8 times the price.
                    I'm glad to hear that and sorry that you need to take the bus - my concern is the number of people in mid to late May who will appear on this site asking why they haven't received their expenses.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      awww... they're "making it easier for parents of up to 500,000 school-age children to access Tax-Free Childcare."

What about those of us with 500,001 children?
                      Interesting. Maybe this answers that tough pre-election question about how many children BoJo has. Less than 500,000 (since another is on the way).

Comment

Working...
                      X