• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS to test 10,000 people a day for coronavirus as cases expected to soar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus is definitely a concern. It is very infectious and because it causes pneumonia, even in light to moderate cases, it can become very problematic.

We've all seen what has happened in China. It's not just a regular flu.

Comment

The plan is to stop testing as a matter of routine. Diagnosis will be by presenting symptoms and clinical findings. They will no more test for COVID19 than they do for influenza.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
        How about advising people to not use the stairs, or maybe not eating peanuts, or drinking alcohol or riding a bicycle, or maybe taking a shower in the morning when you are still waking up.

All of which kill more people than coronavirus, each year.
        The critical question is how many intensive care and high dependency bed days are needed and over what period.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          The critical question is how many intensive care and high dependency bed days are needed and over what period.
          Ventilation is going to be the kicker. Certainly in normal times that's an ICU only job, with 1:1 care.

No idea what they'll let slide in desperate times but you really don't want to be unconscious and ventilated while the nurses forget about you.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Ventilation is going to be the kicker. Certainly in normal times that's an ICU only job, with 1:1 care.

No idea what they'll let slide in desperate times but you really don't want to be unconscious and ventilated while the nurses forget about you.
            If you're unconscious, ventilated, the nurses forget about you, and you die, you ain't gonna know about it ... so why worry?

If you catch this virus and you're in good health the chances are you'll be fine. You may feel rough for a few days, but mostly you'll be fine.

If you have 'significant', serious underlying illnesses you're in a bit more trouble. You may get quite ill; this won't be nice for a week or so. If you survive, you can come on here and live on the story for years. If you die, well, you ain't gonna know about it so why worry?

If you are high risk (or someone close to you that you have contact with), then be vigilant and careful. Maybe don't go around licking door handles at the local chemists. If you're not high risk, just enjoy your life; it's too short already to spend every day worrying about what 'might' happen.

And I speak as someone with a relatively high risk underlying illness (asthma) and a wife who is already suffering from a chronic illness. But, I'll tell you what, if I get the virus and die, I'll be sure to come on here and let you all know how bad it was
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              There 5 ECMO adult unit is the UK, with 15 beds at last count. ECOM treatment is needed to keep you alive if you lungs fail an give your body time to fight the virus. 12% of coronavirus patients need hospitalisation, of which 50% are under 65 years of age.

If you need ECMO treatment and you don't live in one of the three cities with an adult unit (Birmingham, London or Manchester), then you will be left to die as you wouldn't survive the journey. If you live in one of these five cities and there is any sizable outbreak of Coronavirus, then there won't be an ECMO available to treat you.

China overcame the crisis in Wuhan by building 14 temporary hospitals and flying in 50,000 health care workers from across China. I don't see this kind of bruteforce solution being possible.

The outlook in the UK doesn't look good unless a social distancing policy is introduced immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by merseygrit View Post
                There 5 ECMO adult unit is the UK, with 15 beds at last count. ECOM treatment is needed to keep you alive if you lungs fail an give your body time to fight the virus. 12% of coronavirus patients need hospitalisation, of which 50% are under 65 years of age.

If you need ECMO treatment and you don't live in one of the three cities with an adult unit (Birmingham, London or Manchester), then you will be left to die as you wouldn't survive the journey. If you live in one of these five cities and there is any sizable outbreak of Coronavirus, then there won't be an ECMO available to treat you.

China overcame the crisis in Wuhan by building 14 temporary hospitals and flying in 50,000 health care workers from across China. I don't see this kind of bruteforce solution being possible.

The outlook in the UK doesn't look good unless a social distancing policy is introduced immediately.
                ECMO is a very high intensity therapy. The model of care for the acutely ill will be intensive care and high dependency, which will be very challenging in terms of equipment and staff, at least in the worse case scenarios.

Comment

Working...
                X