• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS to test 10,000 people a day for coronavirus as cases expected to soar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plans aims to assess 10,000 swabs a day within weeks, meaning more people will be tested in three days than in past fortnight

Within weeks...

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Plans aims to assess 10,000 swabs a day within weeks, meaning more people will be tested in three days than in past fortnight

Within weeks...
    As long as the lab staff don't get sick....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      As long as the lab staff don't get sick....
      Even if they don't get sick, do you think there are enough staff to perform the tests? They may need to bring in a flexible workforce to shore up the resources ... wonder if they will be inside or out?
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Just watch on social media the panic as cases soar. Without most realising the cases were there already we just didnt know about them

And the flip side of that means, if were not picking up the milder cases and not the ones that end up in hospital, the serious/death rate will fall.

I made the mistake of joining some face ache groups about this. I'm rational, scientific and not taken to flights of fancy - however even I got sucked down a rabbit hole or two. So I can see how the more highly strung of our populace are thinking the end of the world is nigh.

Comment

Cases expected to soar as they ramp up testing. [mods insert the no tulip sherlock emoji here]

The places with no panic are those not testing for it.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Stop Panicking!

As usual people are turning into Sun readers. 16,000 a year die in this country because of the Common Cold every year. Yet a few deaths because of a new strain of it creates panic...

Get a grip people.

It really would help if these idiots would only post the numbers of the ones in hospital, not everyone who has tested positive because you can be tested positive and not have anything more than a bit of muscle pain and a head ache. But of course these numbers aren't used because it doesn't make for drama does it?

A lot of us carry all kinds of bacteria that doesn't harm us. Meningitis, TB, and lots of other TLA's. Because nature has made our body's immune systems in to very effective war machines whose prime purpose is to keep us alive.

It's not Ebola we are dealing with here...

Comment

Problem with that is the % dead compared to in hospital would be relatively high and then you'd get headlines:

Coronavirus has 60% death rate*

*Figure used to illustrate the point

Comment

They are currently testing at around 1,500 people per day. Theoretically they could do 2,000 per day right now, but in reality they can't.

The bits missing from the Torygraph opinion piece is that it's an idea for a plan that could be delivered "within weeks"
                It's not budgeted, it's not resourced and the timeline is open, all we know is that it will take more than 7 days.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                  As usual people are turning into Sun readers. 16,000 a year die in this country because of the Common Cold every year. Yet a few deaths because of a new strain of it creates panic...

Get a grip people.
                  Did you mean the common cold, or due to being cold?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                    16,000 a year die in this country because of the Common Cold every year.
                    I'm gonna need to see some evidence of that, bud.

Yet a few deaths because of a new strain of it creates panic...
                    Yes, because something with a morality rate of something like 2 - 3x the flu is something to worry about.

A lot of us carry all kinds of bacteria that doesn't harm us. Meningitis, TB, and lots of other TLA's. Because nature has made our body's immune systems in to very effective war machines whose prime purpose is to keep us alive.
                    What's that got to do with anything? It's a virus. They're FAR harder to treat.

It's not Ebola we are dealing with here...
                    It's not a nuclear winter, either - guess there's nothing to worry about.

Panic is never good, but this concept that it's nothing to worry about is just ludicrous.

Comment

Working...
                    X