• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invest like Warren Buffett

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invest like Warren Buffett

Warren Buffett’s big bet on airlines could have lost $3 billion in 3 weeks - MarketWatch

Closest you'll get is an All You Can Eat Buffet
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Not quite the story though is it?

It doesn't say he lost on his investments; it says his investments 'could' have dropped by 3bn. Now, what we don't know from that article, is if his investments are still in the black since he bought them, or if he is now in the red.

The article also notes that
      a) the coronavirus is likely to be a short term blip for the holdings he has and/
      b) Buffet invests in the long term and he's only started holding these assets since 2016.

He is therefore not likely to be selling at this low number, and, given his strategy, will probably buy even more of these shares so when they do rise again he will consolidate even more profits. I get that this may not seem logical to all people, and may be a bit confusing, but hey, that's life.

I therefore refer to my earlier points on a different thread; invest for the long term. Only invest what you can afford to lose. Don't be forced into selling when the markets are dropping because you suddenly need that cash.

Nothing to see here
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

is there an etf for airlines?
        people will not stop travelling. after this virus malarky is over they will double triple in value

Comment

Warren Buffett: Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy
          How Fear and Greed in the Crypto Market Can Lead To Incredible Profit

Left out the other part of the quote about being greedy when others are fearful
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            people will not stop travelling. after this virus malarky is over they will double triple in value
            If they survive. Who will be the "HSBC" of the airline market?

Comment

Air travel is a very difficult business though at the best of times. There is a lot of growing pressure from environmentalists so I'd be wary of it as an industry myself.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yes.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

It could've been worse. He could've been spread betting on Ethereum.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    It could've been worse. He could've been spread betting on Ethereum.

Comment

Working...
                    X