• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Such. Strong. Leadership

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Hear hear. I thought they did a decent job of explaining it yesterday. Time will tell if they know what they are talking out but it made sense to me. They basically said the virus has to go through the population as we have no immunity.
    Agreed. I watch the full briefing ( lasted about 50 minutes ) yesterday.

I thought the Chief Medical Advisor and Chief Scientist did an excellent job explaining why they were taking the responses they did. Borris put in a good performance too. No bluster, just well explained and rational.

I see that the usual suspects who hate the UK and attack and denigrate it on here at every opportunity, regardless of the circumstances, are at it again.

And the usual tin-hatted-conspiracy-theorists are spouting unsubstantiated BS as normal.

When all this done-and-dusted in 9 months time. Then, and only then, will we be able to understand which country took the most appropriate response.

Comment

if china had the same policy as the uk they would have allowed the virus to infect 60% of 1.3 billion people
      but no they did the lockdown and limited it to wuhan
      so yes lockdown works

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
        so yes lockdown works
        Until you release people from the lockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          if china had the same policy as the uk they would have allowed the virus to infect 60% of 1.3 billion people
          but no they did the lockdown and limited it to wuhan
          so yes lockdown works
          At the moment - but when will they implement the next lockdown - the virus is now out in the wild, you can't stop it just manage how quickly everyone catches it.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            So come up with a better plan.

The attempts to make the coronavirus extinct aren't going to work (it's out there being spread around) - all that is left is handling the consequences of it which really means minimising the number of people seriously ill with it at one time to numbers the NHS can cope with.
            Can't we just spread fear and panic, and blame others? Isn't that what the internet is for? FFS Eek, you should know this by now
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              Can't we just spread fear and panic, and blame others? Isn't that what the internet is for? FFS Eek, you should know this by now
              I do enough of that in the IR35 reform forum - I don't need to spread fear and panic elsewhere, others can do that..
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The attempts to make the coronavirus extinct aren't going to work (it's out there being spread around) - all that is left is handling the consequences of it which really means minimising the number of people seriously ill with it at one time to numbers the NHS can cope with.
                Exactly. It is strong government rather than a knee jerk reaction for popularity. It may well be proved wrong but it's certainly a bold decision. The 400,000, how many of them would die this year of other causes ?

Comment

At the moment - but when will they implement the next lockdown - the virus is now out in the wild, you can't stop it just manage how quickly everyone catches it.
                  I suppose they could immunise if they can keep the lockdown going long enough. But not practical in freer countries, they explained this yesterday.

Comment

Shoot 1 in 4 people over 70, and 1 in 10 over 60, burn bodies in mass graves or dump at sea

This will free up the health service and undertakers and ease pressure in the summer months .

Ohhh hang on this is the plan without the guns or dumping at sea bit

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Shoot 1 in 4 people over 70, and 1 in 10 over 60, burn bodies in mass graves or dump at sea

This will free up the health service and undertakers and ease pressure in the summer months .

Ohhh hang on this is the plan without the guns or dumping at sea bit

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      Stupid plan.

You'd just have a slightly smaller population with no natural immunity to COVID-19. In other words, you'd be in exactly the same place.

Better plan is for everyone to do what they can to minimise the risk of infecting others. Thus reducing impact on health care services, so that they can focus their resources on the critical patients, rather than being overwhelmed by a large number of infections in a short period of time.

That's the government plan.

As an individual, taking the mindset that you are infected already, and behaving appropriately so that you minimse the risk to infecting others is the best approach. Worrying about just protecting yourself and not catching it is the pathway to a world of paranoia and stress.

Eventually most people are going to get it. The important thing is whether that is over 3 months or 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X