• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus (Covid 19)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cull of the gammons has started

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
      I just hope these idiots buy lots of condoms as well so they don't add the stupid gene to the next set of dole wallahs.

What we do seem to know is that if you are over 60 and have an existing pleural or respiratory condition then your immune system might well be overcome if you contract this virus.

Now... Nature usually wants these Virus things to spread and killing the host isn't a very efficient way of doing that, so yes it has to be a mutated bug of some kind.

Herd mentality: Bugs as a rule don't enjoy temperatures much below average Human temperatures, so a load of people "flushing" their lungs shouting and singing at a Footy or Rugby match at average outside temperatures of below 12C probably aren't at much risk, it's when they get to the pub at it's "Comfy" 20C that they might become at risk. So there is some sense in the Government's herd idea.

Technically I'm at risk, I'm over 60, my immune system is dealing with all kinds of things, so if I get it I might survive, I might not. Who knows. But what really hacks me off about this whole thing is that the statistics are screwed to make the papers able to promote lots of horror stories.

It would be much more reassuring if they told you how many had tested positive, how many had tested positive but didn't need to go into hospital because their immune system beat it off, how many have had to go in but have been released. And how many actually needed to be in ICU because of it. So then we could have a bash at making up our mind just how serious this is.

But that doesn't seem the way of media these days. Reporting actual facts that the "herd" can use to make up their own minds doesn't seem to be in the game plan any more.
      My sister is works in ICU in Glasgow royal - on a good day they need to decide who gets hooked up and who dies - situation for years

You have no idea how bad this is going to get

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
        I don't normally get concerned about stuff like this as I'm well aware it's usually over exaggerated by the media, but in this case I'm very worried about my mum. She's obviously over 65 & already has respiratory issues. I don't know how I'll cope if she gets ill over this. We only lost my dad a year ago.
        Doesn't help when I'm hearing stuff about how the NHS might need to decide who deserves to live more.
        The NHS already have to do this to a certain extent. My wife has an illness where the NHS won't give her any treatments that will improve her situation, they will only give her pain relief etc to make her comfortable. Treatments are already restricted to those who can be 'cured', and for those where the cost/benefit isn't there then the treatments are not available. Technically my wife is at 'end of life' palliative care; there are treatments out there that could prolong her life, but won't cure her or make her 'better' in any way.

I would expect the NHS to have to follow the same path with Covid-19 unfortunately. When it's your loved one that is involved then this isn't nice, but if there is a choice between saving a 10 year old kid with their whole life ahead of them, or a 70+ year old who has already enjoyed their life, surely the limited resources should be to give someone a life?

The NHS has limited funds; it needs to spend on those first who have a chance of a healthy life.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

In two weeks, we will discover it's all a hoax. On April 1st, Boris, Trump and other world leaders will appear on TV and shout "April Fool!"
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's probably one of Zeity's Cunning Plans.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              The NHS already have to do this to a certain extent. My wife has an illness where the NHS won't give her any treatments that will improve her situation, they will only give her pain relief etc to make her comfortable. Treatments are already restricted to those who can be 'cured', and for those where the cost/benefit isn't there then the treatments are not available. Technically my wife is at 'end of life' palliative care; there are treatments out there that could prolong her life, but won't cure her or make her 'better' in any way.

I would expect the NHS to have to follow the same path with Covid-19 unfortunately. When it's your loved one that is involved then this isn't nice, but if there is a choice between saving a 10 year old kid with their whole life ahead of them, or a 70+ year old who has already enjoyed their life, surely the limited resources should be to give someone a life?

The NHS has limited funds; it needs to spend on those first who have a chance of a healthy life.
              I really don't need someone mansplaining to me how the NHS prioritise treatment.
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                I really don't need someone mansplaining to me how the NHS prioritise treatment.
                Right. His wife is dying, and your take is "boo hoo, someone patronised me".
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Sorry to hear that Whorty.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Right. His wife is dying, and your take is "boo hoo, someone patronised me".
                    Don't worry about it NAT - these are emotive times for some. I don't take things too seriously anymore

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      Sorry to hear that Whorty.
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X