• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus - what can we do to volunteer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus - what can we do to volunteer?

I'm currently on the bench, with plenty of time on my hands, and (fortunately) no need to work again soon. As this situation unfolds, it occurs to me that some of us could volunteer our time and knowledge to help out in the community.

One obvious thing to do is help people who are self-isolating set up computers and phones to allow them to communicate with others online, some of whom will be computer illiterate.

Although we could help with getting shopping, chatting face to face etc, I personally will leave that to people with better social skills and more patience.

Any other ideas?

There are some local Facebook groups popping up around the country, a list of which are in:

Find Your Local Group

Lots of this already happening on Nextdoor.co.uk
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
      I'm currently on the bench, with plenty of time on my hands, and (fortunately) no need to work again soon. As this situation unfolds, it occurs to me that some of us could volunteer our time and knowledge to help out in the community.

One obvious thing to do is help people who are self-isolating set up computers and phones to allow them to communicate with others online, some of whom will be computer illiterate.

Although we could help with getting shopping, chatting face to face etc, I personally will leave that to people with better social skills and more patience.

Any other ideas?

There are some local Facebook groups popping up around the country, a list of which are in:

Find Your Local Group
      The problem with helping with computer and phone setup etc is the risk of being infected, or infecting them. You shouldn't really be entering peoples homes if they're self-isolating. That would break the quarantine.

This lady came up with a good idea using a post card:

Falmouth woman goes global with postcards offering to help people self-isolating amid coronavirus outbreak | West Country - ITV News

Comment

I plan on dropping leaflets through the doors of the warden controlled community next to my street to see if people want their shopping doing for them...assuming the shops have stuff left in them.
        Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Any other ideas?

Find Your Local Group
          Free bumming service ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Free bumming service ?
            i'm still charging for that

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
              I plan on dropping leaflets through the doors of the warden controlled community next to my street to see if people want their shopping doing for them...assuming the shops have stuff left in them.
              Expect lots of requests for bog roll, tins of beans, and hand sanitiser. Then spend the rest of the day trying to find some available to buy. A fool's errand.

Any moment now the government will work with the supermarkets to provide free home delivery services of selectable ration packs to those staying at home, so no need to go out and risk catching or spreading the virus only to find all the shelves of the basics empty anyway. Any moment now ...
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                The problem with helping with computer and phone setup etc is the risk of being infected, or infecting them. You shouldn't really be entering peoples homes if they're self-isolating. That would break the quarantine.
                This is true.
                One option might be to use remote access software/website s to do this - but that would only work if they already had internet access of course.

Comment

Given the economic situation, the best thing to do is to inform on dodgy loan contractor tax cheats. NHS, social care and the unemployed will all need funding from somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X