• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Insolvency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Analyzer View Post
    All situations are different.

+ Did not see being caught up in IR35 (long story)
    + Current EOY not calculated until August.

And no, I don't retain a sizable % for capital for future tax. I pay incrementally (but do pay). Point is with many large organizations blanket forcing inside IR35, I've had zero time to plan and therefore caught with this issue.

Curious if HMRC/or anyone had published an approach to this dilemma.
    Blanket inside is not allowed under the legislation. I believe you mean blanket ban on the use of PSCs.

If you didn't see that coming then you haven't been paying attention for the past year or so.

You will need to put some cash back into your business to pay its liabilities.

Comment

At any one time, you should make sure, as far as possible, that you've enough money in your company account to cover tax liability. The means before you issue a dividend, you calculate whether you are in profit. If not - no dividend.

Obviously, some people take risks with this - i.e. on a four month contract, may decided that they can take a dividend now, based on the income for the next four months. But it isn't advisable.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

No they are truly not.

There are two certainties in life - Death and Taxes.

You paid yourself too much so you need to pay that money back to the company so it can pay it's taxes.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No they are not. It's the law. The only differences are someone that is doing it properly and someone that isn't
          So you plan ahead by not spending your tax money. It's as simple as that.
          If you do get in to such dire straits that you have to spend it you just pay it back later.
          And no, I don't retain a sizable % for capital for future tax. I pay incrementally (but do pay). Point is with many large organizations blanket forcing inside IR35, I've had zero time to plan and therefore caught with this issue.
          We can see that. Maybe you'll learn now you are doing it completely wrong. BIDI
          They do. It's to help their investigators rip people like a you new one when they come calling. It also details the interest and penalties when they do find someone that's done it wrong.

Bearing in mind not one single post in this tread has said anything but pay them back why on earth are you still trying to argue otherwise. You did it wrong first time, you are still arguing. You are either trolling or you are a bit of an idiot.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You could try the same tactic as some other businesses that are in trouble I guess.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2744561
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Could you repay some of the dividends you've paid yourself? Since the company doesn't have the funds to pay the dividends, then they should not have been paid out in the first place.

Are you new to contracting?
              Have you never discussed the best ways to pay yourself with your accountants?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Could you repay some of the dividends you've paid yourself? Since the company doesn't have the funds to pay the dividends, then they should not have been paid out in the first place.
                That is what the OP will have to do - no choice, really - they're ultra vires. OP will need to speak to their accountant about reversing them (assuming they have one).

Comment

And no, I don't retain a sizable % for capital for future tax. I pay incrementally (but do pay). Point is with many large organizations blanket forcing inside IR35, I've had over 3 years to plan but put my head in the sand instead.

FTFY
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

This has to be a windup right?

Let me add another tax in for you. As you have taken more dividends than the company has funds to cover, there will be a section 455 charge to pay on top, for being overdrawn on the directors loan account.

Good luck!

Comment

I have a cunning plan...

Start another Ltd Co. Have it perform a hostile take over of your original Ltd Co. "Spend" all the money in original Ltd Co "Fighting the hostile takeover".

Sorted.

Comment

Working...
                      X