• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I got one...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    My wife popped into the supermarket today to pick up some basics (we've avoided any bulk buying). She said (as per normal) the loo roll, pasta and tinned goods shelves were all empty, except one lonely 4-pack of "Low sugar, low salt Heinz Baked Beans"

UK be like: we'll panic buy, but none of that healthy sh!t please!
    Last week it was a bit like that here but yesterday it was back to normal apart from one shelf which was empty in every shop I went to, flour!
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

got a deliver slot every week for the next 3 weeks. I can't add any food however!

Apparently Freezers are the current panic buy item.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Wife booked in a delivery for the end of month and yep the site crashed when trying to complete the booking.
        I still have my slot but I can't add or remove items as then it says half my stuff is out of stock.

It is linked to a large local supermarket so in theory in 2 weeks the items or similar should be back on the shelves.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          The supply chain is running as normal. There is no need to panic. Yet.
          Quite. My loony lady friend cancelled our outing today as she intends to spend her morning driving round various supermarkets buying up stuff.

PS I was tidying up my garden yesterday and noticed that some potatoes I dumped in the compost last year are still intact. "Best before" dates be damned.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've got a few big supermarkets all walking distance so I went to the bigger one (Sainsbury's) on Sunday and got most of what I needed for at least a week.

People keep saying the shelves are empty and there are no pasta, canned goods, fresh meats. I didn't find this to be quite true: the only empty shelves I found at Sainsbury's were the ones with the cheapo and standard range of products. Taste the difference steaks and canned veg were still available, De Cecco pasta was still available....

It's good to be a contractor in these times and being able to afford an overpriced steak, unlike the rest of the plebs

Comment

When we checked last FRiday there were quite a lot of slots but suddenly they were £8. Which I'm sure wasn't a price-point before even for 1-hour slots. Have they jacked prices or run some automatic pricing system based on demand?

I think we'll rely on going at midnight or something and see what's what.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Just been to the Morrisons across from my site and they have practically no tinned produce at all. Except beer, No tatties. Quite a bit of gluten free so I stocked up on choccy bickies.

They didn't have any of those streamer things either.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                  Apparently Freezers are the current panic buy item.
                  I've noticed people on the next door app getting worried about freezers. Seems like a risky approach to me, one power cut and you've got a load of rotten food.

Comment

We're still in the oh-tulip phase right now. Supply lines are fundamentally good once everyone gets their hoards in place.

Whether supply lines suffer in the next month or two is another matter, as producers start to be hit by productivity.
                    I would not be blase once shelves get filled up in the next week or so, this is a medium term scenario and you might be advised to make better preparations - in a sensible, non-panicked way - once the initial drama settles.

I don't know how many weeks/months ago the food you buy leaves the factory but that's how far down the line I am worrying about.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                      I've noticed people on the next door app getting worried about freezers. Seems like a risky approach to me, one power cut and you've got a load of rotten food.
                      24 hour power cut and as long as you don't open the freezer veg is fine.

Any longer then you have to chuck it all.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X