• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus is a contracting planet killer for contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm currently self-isolating from IR35
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm feeling quite concerned. Thankfully I have a good warchest so provided I can be frugal I don't have to work again until I draw pension, but, there will be a heck of a lot of unemployment in a few weeks as companies close and lay people off, and will be a long time before the contracting market recovers, if it every does. I am starting to think about what I would like to re-train as - anything to avoid the need to work for the likes of a consultancy company and PDR's malarkey.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
        I'm feeling quite concerned. Thankfully I have a good warchest so provided I can be frugal I don't have to work again until I draw pension, but, there will be a heck of a lot of unemployment in a few weeks as companies close and lay people off, and will be a long time before the contracting market recovers, if it every does. I am starting to think about what I would like to re-train as - anything to avoid the need to work for the likes of a consultancy company and PDR's malarkey.....
        Companies that don’t cut deep and hard NOW (operations costs) will not survive

Prepare for the worse

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Companies that don’t cut deep and hard NOW (operations costs) will not survive

Prepare for the worse

Happening imminently at ClientCo

Comment

In my "business" it's basically carry on until someone tells us to stop.

Not many builders get flu, they work in unheated cold and damp places for 9 months of the year so tend to have a pretty robust immune system. They also eat fairly healthily and don't sit in over heated stuffy offices. Different lifestyle, either you can do the work or you find something else.

IR35 was about to pretty much hurt the industry beyond compare but as long as there's work to do and supplies to do it the work will carry on as normal. That's what we are hearing on the ground.

I drove around the M25 this morning at 06:00. I have never ever seen the M4/Heathrow north bound cock up so clear of traffic. Whose drivers were not trying to wedge their Mercs and Audi's into a space a Smartfortwo would struggle to fit into.

Bring it on.

Comment

I guess it could be worse, like panic buying at the gun shop in the US.

I've always heard a statistic that the average person in the UK has something like £300 in savings and will be homeless if they miss one paycheck.

I'm also convinced that the media is not reporting the relief measures being implemented in other countries. I think the people will rise up soon and Coronavirus will be the least of Bojo's worries.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Happening imminently at ClientCo
                Not quite you but similar:

Gatwick Airport said it has terminated the employment of 200 staff as part of “decisive action to protect the business”, PA reports.It will also be closed to flights between midnight and 5.30am with immediate effect, except for emergency landings.
                The airport’s chief executive Stewart Wingate and his executive team will take a 20% salary cut and waive any bonus for the current financial year.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Forget Brexit

Forget 5000 on the FTSE (your pension will be 1/2 when it hits 3500)

Forget inside or outside IR35

Forget umbrella take home pay

Forget SDS for gods sake

Forget loan schemes

Forget working again this year
                  Choose life.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    If I recall correctly, a contractor here who cannot work can claim up to 6 weeks of earning based on their tax returns for the previous year. So if you earned 120,000 in 2018, you would claim around 2,300 a week for the weeks you couldn't work for up to 6 weeks. Not too bad....
                    Wait, what's this?

Comment

Originally posted by Nut View Post
                      Wait, what's this?
                      Rules in Germany and Holland I presume

Comment

Working...
                      X