• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus is a contracting planet killer for contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus is a contracting planet killer for contracting

Forget Brexit

Forget 5000 on the FTSE (your pension will be 1/2 when it hits 3500)

Forget inside or outside IR35

Forget umbrella take home pay

Forget SDS for gods sake

Forget loan schemes

Forget working again this year

Businesses in the next 4/8 weeks will shed permie and mostly contractors alike like water as reality bites and they have to slash operating costs just to survive

Mass unemployment with people unable to pay mortgage or rent from £99 a week from government handouts - government will give you nothing

Only 10% of contractors will be working on this day on May

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Forget Brexit

Forget SDS for gods sake

Forget loan schemes

Businesses in the next 4/8 weeks will shed permie and mostly contractors alike like water as reality bites and they have to slash operating costs just to survive

Mass unemployment with people unable to pay mortgage or rent from £99 a week from government handouts - government will give you nothing

I fear you may be right. We are not in for a good time.

Comment

If I recall correctly, a contractor here who cannot work can claim up to 6 weeks of earning based on their tax returns for the previous year. So if you earned 120,000 in 2018, you would claim around 2,300 a week for the weeks you couldn't work for up to 6 weeks. Not too bad....
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'm in the COVID19 business and rushed off my feet.

But it is going to be bad economically for a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          If I recall correctly, a contractor here who cannot work can claim up to 6 weeks of earning based on their tax returns for the previous year. So if you earned 120,000 in 2018, you would claim around 2,300 a week for the weeks you couldn't work for up to 6 weeks. Not too bad....
          I’m calling bollocks to this

Comment

Paragraph 56 of the IfSG: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/ifsg/IfSG.pdf

Die Entschädigung bemisst sich nach dem Verdienstausfall. Für die ersten sechs Wochen wird sie in Höhe des Verdienstausfalls gewährt. Vom Beginn der siebenten Woche an wird sie in Höhe des Krankengeldes nach § 47 Abs. 1 des Fünften Buches Sozialgesetzbuch gewährt, soweit der Verdienstausfall die für die gesetzliche Krankenversicherungspflicht maßgebende Jahresarbeitsentgeltgrenze nicht übersteigt.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Certain actions by European countries are putting the UK to shame, for example, the government announced it would support up to £1bn of state-backed lending through the British Business Bank, as part of a wider £12bn package of support for households and firms. High street banks will also raise their lending by around £21bn to provide further support following talks with the Treasury. France, on the other hand, will underwrite additional loans worth €300bn (£273.3bn) – more than 300 times the level of UK support. Last week, Germany said it would expand lending at its KfW state-backed investment bank from €460bn to €550bn, while saying there was no upper limit on the amount of loans it would issue.

Comment

and we were all worried about going from outside ir35 to inside

Comment

Forget Brexit

Forget SDS for gods sake

Forget loan schemes

My Mrs is ward manager at a hospital, so long as she stays alive and the UK doesn't collapse into some kind of mad max scenario she will be the very last person to lose their job. We also have no mortgage and are currently healthy and not in any of these extreme risk categories.

So currently thanking our lucky stars and thinking of those not as fortunate. Every pub, restaurant, theatre, cinema worker and anyone connected with transporting people anywhere is either at risk or on the dole.

I'd urge everyone to reach out to those around you, you're friends and family and try and help them get through this.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    and we were all worried about going from outside ir35 to inside
                    I’m already inside ir35 and worried!

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X