• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

worth a read

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Most who have died have had significant underlying illnesses. How many of these would have died anyway within the last few weeks? Did the virus really kill them, or were they already about to cark it?

As already said too, there will be multitudes who have the virus that have little to no symptoms and won't be caught in the stats. Thus the true death rate will be much lower than the 'official' rate.

I'm actually more concerned for the actions of the morons, stripping supermarket shelves and leaving nothing for those who only get to the shops once a week. These morons will do more harm to the vulnerable than the virus would have done had we all been more selfless.

But, humans are a selfish species; we're only concerned with ourselves and fook the rest
    this is nonsense.

it kills anyone in the percentage that need oxygen that dont get it.

it kills anyone in the percentage that need a ventilator but dont get it.

the vast majority if they get access to the ventilator will recover.

but there simply will not be enough kit, ventilators etc, and the medics will be forced to decide which half dozen people out of 50 that need the ventilator get to use one. that medic rationing decision determines who lives and dies far more than the underlying condition.

the reality in italy is any diabetic, anyone on blood pressure meds, anyone who is even slight previous medical history is put in the "do not treat" queue as there is simply not enough capacity.

this a a rant after reading a lot of what the italian docs have said, and what the bits of research say

"Most who have died have had significant underlying illnesses." is nonsense, its often fairly minor medical histories, and hey even perfectly healthy people are not getting the kit when there is simply not enough and are being left to die when they would have recovered if the kit had been there.

rant over. this is serious stuff people!

Comment

"more concerned for the actions of the morons, stripping supermarket shelves" is wrong now too.

any adult normally entitled to a free nhs flu jab is now officially vulnerable, plus anyone possibly pregnant, and they have all been told to stay at home for 12 weeks. plus anyone in a household where anyone shows any symptoms to stay at home for 2 weeks. this plus supply problems from countries with the virus taking out their workers, if not ill then movements restricted.

25 million people in England were entitled to free flu jab last time, they are all being taken out of the workforce.

in the circumstances its rational to panic buy.

the food industry has been asking the government to move restaurant workers into food factories to make up the shortfall in workers. this will happen.

the government is having people ring round retired docs & nurses and asking them to come in to work, to backfill all those who are now categorised as vulnerable and having to stay at home.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
        ... I'm definitely not an idiot.
        We'll be the judge of that.

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
        In the circumstances its rational to panic buy.
        Not really. If people didn't panic buy, there would be enough to go around and to restock.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
          the government is having people ring round retired docs & nurses and asking them to come in to work, to backfill all those who are now categorised as vulnerable and having to stay at home.
          Of all those retired doctors and nurses, I wonder how many are in the vulnerable group...
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I suspect tomorrow's results for the UK will be 480-500 new cases.
            Stop talking Britain down! We’ll manage at least 1,000 with Boris on the job!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              Most who have died have had significant underlying illnesses. How many of these would have died anyway within the last few weeks? Did the virus really kill them, or were they already about to cark it?

As already said too, there will be multitudes who have the virus that have little to no symptoms and won't be caught in the stats. Thus the true death rate will be much lower than the 'official' rate.

I'm actually more concerned for the actions of the morons, stripping supermarket shelves and leaving nothing for those who only get to the shops once a week. These morons will do more harm to the vulnerable than the virus would have done had we all been more selfless.

But, humans are a selfish species; we're only concerned with ourselves and fook the rest
              So you’ve not stocked up on anything? An extra pint of bread, a few extra loo rolls...?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                So you’ve not stocked up on anything? An extra pint of bread, a few extra loo rolls...?

I drink my beer in pints and my bread in loaves....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Government just announced grants for small businesses. Guessing it’s too ambitious to suggest this might apply to Ltd company contractors?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I drink my beer in pints and my bread in loaves....
                    How strange!

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by elephantstone View Post
                      Government just announced grants for small businesses. Guessing it’s too ambitious to suggest this might apply to Ltd company contractors?
                      Yes it is.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X