• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£350 bln Govt aid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They didn't have to do anything. If you are in business and it all turns to poo it's tough luck.

If you are a huge Airport whose shareholders have taken billions in payouts then they could be putting those billions back in to support an industry that was clearly able to make billions all things being equal.

Same as the rest of the business world. If you've had it good, why does the Taxpayer have to bail you out now there's a bit of a panic on? This includes contractors. You've made the money, if you haven't saved any of it for a rainy day, why, exactly, does the tax payer owe you a living?

Why is it that the people that already have millions feel the government has to bail them out when their gambling session goes TU?

So the Goberment is offering to guarantee the banks loan you some money at very good rates to tide you over and make sure you can keep up the payments on your Merc's and Bimmers for a few months. Why the heck shouldn't the banks get something back for loaning money to someone who is saying to them "Well, guv, I don't have any work, and I don't know when I will have any income for maybe 6 months but can you lend me a few grand on the never never?"

Some people live in cloud cuckoo land.
    Last edited by Lost It; 18 March 2020, 16:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
      They didn't have to do anything. If you are in business and it all turns to poo it's tough luck.

If you are a huge Airport whose shareholders have taken billions in payouts then they could be putting those billions back in to support an industry that was clearly able to make billions all things being equal.

Same as the rest of the business world. If you've had it good, why does the Taxpayer have to bail you out now there's a bit of a panic on? This includes contractors. You've made the money, if you haven't saved any of it for a rainy day, why, exactly, does the tax payer owe you a living?

Why is it that the people that already have millions feel the government has to bail them out when their gambling session goes TU?

So the Goberment is offering to guarantee the banks loan you some money at very good rates to tide you over and make sure you can keep up the payments on your Merc's and Bimmers for a few months. Why the heck shouldn't the banks get something back for loaning money to someone who is saying to them "Well, guv, I don't have any work, and I don't know when I will have any income for maybe 6 months but can you lend me a few grand on the never never?"

FFS.....where do you start with that ?

Lets imagine a scenario, for example, where all hotels/pubs/theaters/gyms/sports centres/sports teams/zoos/a thousand other types of businesses, lose almost their entire income, almost overnight. For the purposes of this example, lets say it's caused by a global pandemic. How should the government deal with about 1/3 of the country suddenly becoming unemployed ?

Do you seriously believe that every business in the country is hoarding cash and collecting beemers ?

Sorry, I know you've had a hard time recently, but your post above could have been written by a Daily Mail journalist or Nigel Farage. i.e it's brainless bollocks.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        FFS.....where do you start with that ?
        An obvious starting point would be well away from you as you don't have the smarts to even begin to explain it.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          An obvious starting point would be well away from you as you don't have the smarts to even begin to explain it.

tulipe joke. Pointless smiley. The sash wearing tim is back. You managing to buy enough spuds to peel ?
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            tulipe joke. Pointless smiley. The sash wearing tim is back. You managing to buy enough spuds to peel ?
            Calm down you triggered teuchter. And put your teeth back in.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post

This is correct.

The problem is that the process of selling off the assets of all these now-bankrupt businesses, then allowing new companies to fill the gaps vacated, will cause enormous disruption. Right now we need everyone pulling together to help save lives threatened by Coronavirus.
              Payback-day can wait for a few months..

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                Let everything crash and maybe we’ll learn a lesson afterworlds. It’s not as if everything has been great up to this point.
                Once this is over, let this happen. I agree with the sentiment.

Any progress since 2008 has been completely illusory. A quick look at the stark wealth gap that has increased massively in the 18-35 generation confirms that a reset and better, more stringent regulation is likely the only way to ensure that next time these businesses that aren't viable without just one week of business should go bust and shouldn't really exist in the first place. They have gorged on cheap debt. I have no sympathy for most of the large companies crying to the government the last few days. They shafted employees with almost no wage rises the last 12 years, used any cash and debt to pay dividends and share buybacks and many deserve to fail.

Cover the employees first, cover the renters, cover the home-owners. Don't cover all businesses just because they're saying they've failed when the failure was long in the making. A recession was overdue regardless and would have rightly removed some of these SMEs and large corporates from the market.

We also need a recognition that we aren't going to meet the 2035, 2045 and 2050 climate change targets unless we radically alter the way of working anyway, so this is arguably the perfect time for people to help work on such projects, ironically, from home.

There is help out there and nobody on this forum should be worrying about being unable to pay bills. You will get help and you will get food; your family will be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  What exactly is your solution? Oh wait, you don't have one because you don't know anything about anything.
                  Oh wow, thanks for opening my eyes, I did not even know that I don't know anything.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    I wonder where it's all coming from??

Left-wing magic money trees are invariably paid for by good Tory austerity.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopener View Post
                      Left-wing magic money trees are invariably paid for by good Tory austerity.
                      What are right wing/Tory money tress paid for by?
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X