• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who’s been chopped or about to be chopped?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I assume with companies cutting the wage bill, laying people off etc that it is only fair I cut down on the mortgage I pay and all the bills?

Seems reasonable to me

The virus ain't my fault any more than it is the companies or the governments so no reason why the financial burden should fall in the public.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
      Chopped here - just started a brand new gig on Monday - the worry was already palpable on site by Wednesday, very few people communicating with me as they scramble to get remote workers up and running.

The announcement came this afternoon that all contractors curtailed - BUT , kudos to my agent , who was ahead of the game and negotiated a 4 week notice period on my 'Outside IR35' contract!

It really is unprecedented times, worldwide virus pandemic was foreseeable (a'la Bill Gates Ted talk 2015) , but an agent who's made my business money?, wow.

Well on Monday I was the one unpacking the laptops we were going to build.Most not definitely not my job for over a decade but I volunteered to help #teamworking (or whatever corporate value is). Made the boys in infrastructure laugh at my tales of ghosting and going down the pub waiting for it to finish.

WFH and my projects are expected to deliver on time so win win! I predict more working from home for me.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
        Kind of surprised no-one is talking about 3 day week and job sharing as a way to cut the wages bill rather than laying people off. Realistically in our game just 2 days a week would be enough to keep the bills in check if you spent wisely. And surely that's a fairly easy option.

During the Miners Strike in 84-85, me and wifey used to manage quite well on 4 days picketing money. Or £22 a week.
        Yep, actually had this thought myself last week. Had a project that could be extended and thought why not spread it out a little (I didn't btw)

Comment

My contract got chopped due to corona and it doesn’t look like many prospects of picking up a new one for the foreseeable.

I don’t think there’s much benefits available to me still being employed by my ltdco but will have to have a look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nut View Post
            My contract got chopped due to corona and it doesn’t look like many prospects of picking up a new one for the foreseeable.

I don’t think there’s much benefits available to me still being employed by my ltdco but will have to have a look into it.
            sorry to hear. I am in the same situation although i had refused an inside ir35 extension when my client asked earlier ,now when i asked recently ,they are refusing to extend.

Comment

Originally posted by Nut View Post

You are going to have to take a different job e.g. delivery driver and pay yourself dividends if you can.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X