• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC - 9/10 contractors are cheating and we know because of SA returns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC - 9/10 contractors are cheating and we know because of SA returns

Blood is boiling, I was watching this:

https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde...8-6a4a1067d261

The lady from HMRC said that 9 out of 10 PSC's/Contractors are not paying enough tax and they know that from self-assesement returns.

I have filled in many self assesment returns, there is 0 data in there that would show whether my contracts are inside or outside IR-35

This is nothing but a sham.

Originally posted by HMRCWOT View Post
    Blood is boiling, I was watching this:

https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde...8-6a4a1067d261

The lady from HMRC said that 9 out of 10 PSC's/Contractors are not paying enough tax and they know that from self-assesement returns.

I have filled in many self assesment returns, there is 0 data in there that would show whether my contracts are inside or outside IR-35

This is nothing but a sham.
    You seem to be mixing two completely different things. Hector wants to suck you dry of all your hard earned cash. They can see you are a PSC from your SA. That's enough for them to open a case. Whether you are inside or outside doesn't matter at this stage, they still believe you are not paying enough tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
      You seem to be mixing two completely different things. Hector wants to suck you dry of all your hard earned cash. They can see you are a PSC from your SA. That's enough for them to open a case. Whether you are inside or outside doesn't matter at this stage, they still believe you are not paying enough tax.
      The lady from HMRC who is in charge of IR35 implementation said that the evidence that 9/10 PSC's were paying the incorrect tax was from analysis they did on self assesment, she basically admitted that they plucked the number from thin air, didn't have any actual evidence and promised to forward a note showing how they came to that decision - this is critical because if they have their numbers wrong it won't net the treasure what they think it will.

Comment

So HMRC don't have to prove anything? They can simply state it and we have to accept it as fact because they are HMRC?

Comment

I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on the very point the OP made when starting this thread.

To infer from SA returns that 90% of contractors are paying incorrect tax is plain wrong, in particular when they don't know the ins and outs of each contract, working practices and so on.

I sincerely hope that those lobbying will raise this with their contacts in HMT/HMRC. It's yet another one I'll be raising with my MP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
            So HMRC don't have to prove anything? They can simply state it and we have to accept it as fact because they are HMRC?
            That's how they operate. Dubious facts and statements. They don't seem to be held accountable to anyone at the moment.

They can open an enquiry and leave it open for years without taking it any further. The onus (not to mention the time, money and stress) will be on you to prove that they are wrong at some point when they finally get around to addressing your case.

Comment

I didn't follow the link sorry but I wonder if this is something to do with the decision we have pay ourselves under or over the threshold? There have been a few discussions over the years that we can pay ourselves the absolute minimum but other say pay a bit more so you do pay some tax on it to stay off the radar. Could it be she is looking at everyone paying themselves the absolute limit?

Or have I got this completely wrong and she is talking about the whole package, divis and all?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                That's how they operate. Dubious facts and statements. They don't seem to be held accountable to anyone at the moment.

They can open an enquiry and leave it open for years without taking it any further. The onus (not to mention the time, money and stress) will be on you to prove that they are wrong at some point when they finally get around to addressing your case.
                It was good watching HMRC squirm to the lords committee, hopefully they will help do more than delay it

Comment

Originally posted by HMRCWOT View Post
                  Blood is boiling
                  CBeebies is a safe space, if you're easily triggered.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I didn't follow the link sorry but I wonder if this is something to do with the decision we have pay ourselves under or over the threshold? There have been a few discussions over the years that we can pay ourselves the absolute minimum but other say pay a bit more so you do pay some tax on it to stay off the radar. Could it be she is looking at everyone paying themselves the absolute limit?

Or have I got this completely wrong and she is talking about the whole package, divis and all?

How companies distribute their profits is nothing to do with IR35 so it is all nonsense and HMRC are going to have to explain to the lords committee that it is all made up BS

Comment

Working...
                    X