• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Law of Unintended Consequences... Covid again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    Poland has closed it's border and every LDTD that has been outside Poland has to be checked for CoVID before they can cross the border back into Poland.
    It has been reported, yes.

Some proper lack of joined up thinking going on here. Glad we are surrounded by the sea and have container ports.
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    So all those companies that built JIT supply lines across the worlds cheapest countries to save a few quid are now royally screwed.

oh dear what a pity, never mind!
    Don't get too happy too quickly. Those JIT supply lines are what are keeping you supplied with essentials (if the hoarders don't keep panic buying). And although many containers are brought here by ship, many more come by truck, or are offloaded from trucks on the continental ports before being shipped to the UK.

Thankfully, the trains are still running.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I scribbled this down as we were having the conversation but... I have a friend in Germany (Connected through a car club, long story) and we have just had an interesting WhatsApp chat.. So I may have got some of it wrong as I can't always read my own writing.

Basically: In Germany, there's a traffic jam on the road into Poland caused by Polish truckers trying to get home.
      Poland has closed it's border and every LDTD that has been outside Poland has to be checked for CoVID before they can cross the border back into Poland.

So most of the Polish drivers are refusing to Leave Poland in the first place because it can take them days to get home, and their employers don't want to pay for them being sat in traffic jams.
      Most of the drivers are Polish or former Eastern European types because they are cheaper to hire.

Delivery of goods to and from and through Poland is breaking down. So many companies in Germany are closing production lines.

I think it's called a FUBAR?

Some proper lack of joined up thinking going on here. Glad we are surrounded by the sea and have container ports.
      Who gives a F about JIT.

No one is going to be buying a new Mercedes when they don’t have a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Well on my way to work today, which happens to be around 300km along the Autobahn there were bugger all cars but a heck of a lot of lorries, even traffic (lorry) jams, going in the opposite direction to Poland and it looked like many were East European as they quite often are. The borders are in fact open for goods vehicles and people who work cross border
        300km commute. Feck the environment eh!

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          300km commute. Feck the environment eh!
          Thanks, Greta.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Who gives a F about JIT.

No one is going to be buying a new Mercedes when they don’t have a job.

Discounts, hmm...maybe it's a good time to trade in the old banger for that Aston Martin Vantage N430 I've been after for a while now.

Comment

Don't stick your head out of the window when you get it up to 170mph. It's not a good look.

Comment

What if...

What if.... All this panic is sponsored by the "green" terrorists to try and prove that the planet is cleaner without us pumping lots of fumes into the atmosphere? I mean it's pretty obvious but shutting down the planet for a week or so would be some kind of victory wouldn't it?

Except the amount of pollution that is going to be created by server farms needing lots of power which generally comes from, erm, fossil fuel...

Not unlike the alleged drone sightings around airports, just a minor step up in the campaign. Is something or some group sending scare messages out over soshul meeja? Could that funny Swedish girl who thinks it's green to sail across the Atlantic and then have all the boat crew fly back to Britain be behind all these scare tactics? Could her backing group have something to do with all these scare stories?

Not so much worried about China, but over here I'm getting messages all the time saying the UK Gov is going to lock everything down tonight, tomorrow, but when you go on the UK Gov website there's nothing of the kind...

Don't you just love a conspiracy theory or two?

Comment

What if.... All this panic is sponsored by the "green" terrorists to try and prove that the planet is cleaner without us pumping lots of fumes into the atmosphere? I mean it's pretty obvious but shutting down the planet for a week or so would be some kind of victory wouldn't it?

Except the amount of pollution that is going to be created by server farms needing lots of power which generally comes from, erm, fossil fuel...

Not unlike the alleged drone sightings around airports, just a minor step up in the campaign. Is something or some group sending scare messages out over soshul meeja? Could that funny Swedish girl who thinks it's green to sail across the Atlantic and then have all the boat crew fly back to Britain be behind all these scare tactics? Could her backing group have something to do with all these scare stories?

Not so much worried about China, but over here I'm getting messages all the time saying the UK Gov is going to lock everything down tonight, tomorrow, but when you go on the UK Gov website there's nothing of the kind...

Don't you just love a conspiracy theory or two?
                  I know what you mean. I'm finding quite a lot rather incredulous.

With my tin foil hat firmly wedged on, it could be claimed that people dying would have died anyway but their deaths are be mis-attributed to the virus rather than the actual cause of death. The number of people infected is unsound due to the lack of coordinated testing.

Satellite images of China (I can't verify if what I saw was real) imply that in the time Wuhan was locked down the pollution cleared.

It's certainly well timed if it's not a conspiracy!

Comment

I'm warming to it a little now.

I saw on the news that the youngest person yet in the UK had died as a result of CoVID 19, at 40, which kind of put him "outside" the norm but when you looked further he was pretty far down the slope anyway due to his underlying condition.

It does seem to be taking out people who are already ill, and again there's no telling if they would have passed on anyway if they have respiratory issues.

Really would help the government finances if all the people dependent on the state through illness needing vast amounts of expensive support died off. Maybe they should release it into the more unsavoury prison population by accident? That would save the Uk billions...

Comment

Most of the drivers are Polish or former Eastern European types because they are cheaper to hire.
                      I resent this inference . We are NOT a cheap labor and we never will be.

Btw. - this German colleague of yours seems to be obsessed with Poland, almost as we are back in 09/1939. Are they planning to come back and finish the job?
                      If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Working...
                      X