• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why hasn’t London locked down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Finally, lockdown.

This means London too.

Stay at home so less people die.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    fewer

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      fewer
      'Less' is also correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

'Less' is also correct.
        It isn't, unless people with a wooden leg or a hook instead of a hand are more likely to die!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          'Less' is also correct.
          Nope. Fewer vs. Less–What's the Difference? | Grammarly

Comment

Am I the only one who's wondering how they are going to enforce this? Work travel is allowed if you can't work from home which effectively means bugger all will change as I'm assuming everyone who can work from home already does. Who is going to stop you from shopping 10 times a day? Or jogging with 10 mates?

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              Am I the only one who's wondering how they are going to enforce this? Work travel is allowed if you can't work from home which effectively means bugger all will change as I'm assuming everyone who can work from home already does. Who is going to stop you from shopping 10 times a day? Or jogging with 10 mates?
              I thought only 'essential' workers could still travel to a place of work?

Hmm seems this is a grey area
              Last edited by CheeseSlice; 23 March 2020, 22:35.

Comment

Take away food places still seem to be in a grey area. Are they in trouble if they remain open? Will the delivery folks get fined for dropping off orders?

Retail stores that can do deliveries (have had emails from Next and Rigby & Peller, for example, saying their shops are shut but their mail order ops continue) seem to be allowed too.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                  According to the other forums I'm on not every person's boss agrees they can WFH when they can.

Likewise some factory workers making non-essential items e.g. things for the construction trade have been made to come to work like construction workers.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Take away food places still seem to be in a grey area. Are they in trouble if they remain open? Will the delivery folks get fined for dropping off orders?
                    I think these guys should be OK as its food which is essential, especially if the supermarket is empty, though it would be good to see it defined.

Off licences could be an interesting one though. Shut them, and the undesirables and alcos may start ram raiding them.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                      I thought only 'essential' workers could still travel to a place of work?

Hmm seems this is a grey area
                      What is "essential" though? If you are self employed and don't get paid if you don't come in, then you probably class that as essential. Apparently all / most construction sites in London are open with hundreds of workers in close proximity.

Imho this is a classic example of not wanting to go too far and in effect achieving very little. It's like saying lets have a lockdown without locking things down

Comment

Working...
                      X