• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why hasn’t London locked down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    It has locked down, just look at the Tube this morning:

Death train.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

It's like a giant moving petri dish, on average one spreader gives it to three people, so seriously good luck to anyone on that train. Seems like cutting down tube services backfired rather badly, although very curious how many are going in just to sit at their desk and how many are critical staff.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
        It's like a giant moving petri dish, on average one spreader gives it to three people, so seriously good luck to anyone on that train. Seems like cutting down tube services backfired rather badly, although very curious how many are going in just to sit at their desk and how many are critical staff.
        People are just being stubborn and stupid.

People need to travel
        1. either earlier or later, or,
        2. use bikes, buses and taxis, or,
        3. walk, or,
        4. take a slightly longer route,
        to avoid busy lines.

The last time I travelled on public transport I planned my journey so I avoided known busy lines.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          People are just being stubborn and stupid.

People need to travel
          1. either earlier or later, or,
          2. use bikes, buses and taxis, or,
          3. walk, or,
          4. take a slightly longer route,
          to avoid busy lines.

The last time I travelled on public transport I planned my journey so I avoided known busy lines.
          Part of the problem is that TFL reduced the service frequency thinking it would put people off travelling while protecting their staff levels and keeping costs down due to the lower passenger throughput. Sadly, it's backfired badly. They really ought to restore the previous level of service (night tube can still be binned I reckon) so that the people who do need to travel aren't crammed onto ever reducing services.

Lots of key workers have to commute into London and it's not accceptable that the transport they need is being removed.

Comment

Given that there are a lot of key workers that still need to get into town and that it's much quieter, it would surely make to suspend parking restrictions around as many key worker sites as possible and encourage people to drive in, or cycle/walk if they can and avoid the tube?

Comment

So much for lockdowns and social distancing:

https://twitter.com/DanJDobson/statu...059024384?s=19

I reckon most / all are self employed, so I get why they want to go in, but surely you can put distancing measures at places like this.

Comment

Shut down the tube - taxis for essential workers.
                Last edited by AtW; 24 March 2020, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Shut down the tube - taxes for essential workers.
                  Why do you want to tax the essential workers?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    Because they are the only ones left working?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                      Everyone must pay taxes!!
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X