• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why hasn’t London locked down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think police yet lack the ability to disperse crowds but this on the tube in particular just seems crazy.

Already we as a nation are on lock-down partly due to a bunch of idiots going to the beach. Now we risk even stricter measures because people in London can't follow the rules.

I really hope they start enforcing the existing rules rather than adding new ones, and consider London a special case if they must before blanket bans everywhere.

France, Spain, Italy all have heavy handed police and they are all armed. China dragged people out of their houses.
    Ours are depleted and going to have to deal with self entitled cock wombles who think they're above the law and won't take any notice. London could be the worst of all of the other countries.

My next door neighbour is a senior member of the armed forces, and said last week they would be helping in the background, logistics, hospitals etc, but would most likely not be front facing as they dont have the necessary 'social skills' for dealing with the public. Fook social skills, if it's not clamped down on, Madrid/Lombardy are going to look like a picnic compared to London.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      France, Spain, Italy all have heavy handed police and they are all armed. China dragged people out of their houses.
      Ours are depleted and going to have to deal with self entitled cock wombles who think they're above the law and won't take any notice. London could be the worst of all of the other countries.

My next door neighbour is a senior member of the armed forces, and said last week they would be helping in the background, logistics, hospitals etc, but would most likely not be front facing as they dont have the necessary 'social skills' for dealing with the public. Fook social skills, if it's not clamped down on, Madrid/Lombardy are going to look like a picnic compared to London.
      Some of them have the social skills.

Over the years I've talked to people who had British forces peace keeping in their countries amongst others. They tend to go into a rant about some other countries armed forces.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There's an alarm going off outside. Not your usual car alarm. Due to the lockdown I can't go out and see if someone is being burnt alive in their own home. I guess if I smell roasting pork we'll know they didn't make it.

Comment

A clearer version of the FT chart.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

That is a semi-educated man's view.

Fewer vs. Less: Correct Usage Guide | Merriam-Webster

Origins of The Fewer vs Less Rule
            This isn't an example of how modern English is going to the dogs. Less has been used this way for well over a thousand years—nearly as long as there's been a written English language. But for more than 200 years almost every usage writer and English teacher has declared such use to be wrong. The received rule seems to have originated with the critic Robert Baker, who expressed it not as a law but as a matter of personal preference. Somewhere along the way—it's not clear how—his preference was generalized and elevated to an absolute, inviolable rule.

Comment

There are no inviolable rules in English grammar. Nonetheless, using fewer and less in "wrong" ways makes you appear a bit stupid to a large number of people.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                There are no inviolable rules in English grammar. Nonetheless, using fewer and less in "wrong" ways makes you appear a bit stupid to a large number of people.
                You mean to ‘a’ large number.

Smart ass.

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  There are no inviolable rules in English grammar. Nonetheless, using fewer and less in "wrong" ways makes you appear a bit stupid to large number of people.
                  There are inviolable rules in English grammar. The sentence below is grammatically wrong.

'Cretin a uneducated heself be to show NAT.'

There are, however, many 'fake rules' that were invented by 18th and 19th century grammarians.

Comment

Prince Charles tests positive for coronavirus

Keep away from the queen

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      There are inviolable rules in English grammar. The sentence below is grammatically wrong.

'Cretin a uneducated heself be to show NAT.'

There are, however, many 'fake rules' that were invented by 18th and 19th century grammarians.
                      Yes, like the one you handily linked to eh?;
                      "his preference was generalized and elevated to an absolute, inviolable rule."

Nick called you out on it, 2 days ago.
                      You absolute cretin.
                      Originally posted by Old Greg
                      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X