• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why hasn’t London locked down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in London and have not been informed of any need for permits to move about.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Staff where I work were told via conference call today that if they need to visit the office in London for any urgent reason, they will need a special permit in advance from next week.

Not sure if this is something that is going to be part of a wider scheme in London as part of tougher lockdown measures, given the rate of cases and deaths in the capital. I'm working at a local authority - has anyone else heard something like this?
      BTP are stopping people at some London stations to verify whether they should be travelling. Staff ID should suffice (if it's obvious you work for a well-known organisation like the NHS or a local authority) but it makes sense to have some sort of permit to move about in London if you really need to.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I live in London and have not been informed of any need for permits to move about.
        I haven't heard anything about permits either and am in fairly central London. Police have been patrolling my local park for the last couple of days but pretty much only to break up groups who aren't obviously from the same household or to move on those lounging on benches or the grass. Walkers are fine.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
            I haven't heard anything about permits either and am in fairly central London. Police have been patrolling my local park for the last couple of days but pretty much only to break up groups who aren't obviously from the same household or to move on those lounging on benches or the grass. Walkers are fine.
            If you genuinely need to travel around on the tube, you will. Very soon.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I hear the river boat service is stopping. I wonder if the Thames will clean up and dolphins will become a proper feature rather than a tragic end to getting lost

Comment

I hear the river boat service is stopping. I wonder if the Thames will clean up and dolphins will become a proper feature rather than a tragic end to getting lost
                'Nature is taking back Venice': wildlife returns to tourist-free city | Environment | The Guardian

Comment

I'm surprised it hasn't stopped before now. It only serves one purpose, that being that it's the most civilised way to travel from Waterloo to the O2. There's a bar on board. I probably don't need to say any more. You can be arrested for sneaking a G&T on the tube, and here's a service which encourages you to do the polar opposite. My brother came up from Devon a couple of years ago, and wanted to know how to get to the O2. I said just get the boat/clipper service. He later said it was the best way to see London (which it truly is) without costing a fortune. And you can enjoy a G&T. And it's all legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    I'm surprised it hasn't stopped before now. It only serves one purpose, that being that it's the most civilised way to travel from Waterloo to the O2. There's a bar on board. I probably don't need to say any more. You can be arrested for sneaking a G&T on the tube, and here's a service which encourages you to do the polar opposite. My brother came up from Devon a couple of years ago, and wanted to know how to get to the O2. I said just get the boat/clipper service. He later said it was the best way to see London (which it truly is) without costing a fortune. And you can enjoy a G&T. And it's all legal.
                    I love the clipper service. It truly is the best way to get across town. Sometimes it comes as far west as Chelsea but I've never managed to get that service. Usually end up slumming it to Westminster or Embankment and picking it up from there.

Comment

Bethnal Green's turned feral. Oh, wait.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X