• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why hasn’t London locked down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Anyone on the outside of the London bubble sees them as narcissistic arrogant w@nkers.
    No we don't. There are just a considerable proportion inside the London bubble that behave that way.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by amypang View Post
      When looking at the rest of the world, it seems lockdown is one of the most effective solutions to slow down spreading of the virus..
      Sweden disagrees

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        This one is more jolly

Was always interesting when we lived in Beckenham and friends saw we had a Kent address .... they assumed we lived in a quaint little village in the garden of England

Yeah, I'd say, it's a lovely picture of quintessential English countryside ... and we're not too far from that other lovely county of Surrey and it's pretty little market town of Croydon
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Sweden disagrees
          We'll find out if they're right over the next months.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

We will,

For anyone who's not read my rants so far - I'm very PRO lockdown, think we still aren't doing it well enough , key workers should be just that.

That said, I think even 3 months down the line it's too early to draw conclusions from the effectiveness of anything - looking at stats other than South Korea (arguably reliable) and China (arguably unreliable) - lockdown might have "slowed" the rate of infection, but its not contained it completely. SOuth Korea's test and trace and 'isolation booths' for self testing look to be the silver bullet.

I'd never argue for continuing open like Sweden, but I don't think there's anyone who can , with any conviction, say (today) how it affects the casualty rate over the course of the pandemic.

The stat that I'm mainly looking at , is one that isn't getting mentioned so much and that's "Recovered".

I'm overly obsessed with this site : but recovery seems to take a very long time , or a long time to confirm.
            Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

To finish my 2 cents - and just for my own conscience, I am not countering the WHO and GVT advice combined, we should all distance, stay inside unless absolutely essential (excersize and sunlight ARE essential) - and , what our country isn't doing - test and trace.

I still believe that London has been badly let down in the early weeks , I'm privileged enough to be able to say, I'd tell my employer to shove it, if they were trying to get me to go to work in shared spaces , as a non key worker. But many weren't and should have been better protected.

It's all sorted now though, or so it seems from 'up here'.

If anyone hasn't seen the recent Bill Gates video (I posted it somewhere) I'm with Bill , as far as trying to offset damage to health care and the economy. "It's hard to tell people to go out and spend, and carry on as usual, during a pandemic - "come into our restaurant, ignore the bodies reported on the media". I think that Sweden will probably look like lockdown, if numbers start to increase in an uncontrolled way.

Personally, I'm really pleased with the behaviour of the general public that I come into (not!) contact with - everyone is taking it seriously, everyone is doing their bit. I live on the edge of a very badly behaved district , but it's actually vastly improved behaviours!
            Last edited by Scoobos; 31 March 2020, 12:45.

Comment

Originally posted by amypang View Post
              When looking at the rest of the world, it seems lockdown is one of the most effective solutions to slow down spreading of the virus..
              Boris, is that you?

Comment

Christ alive...

https://twitter.com/t_mackintosh/sta...018763777?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Sweden disagrees

They will in two weeks.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    Christ alive...

https://twitter.com/t_mackintosh/sta...018763777?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                    No point looking at it by a Hospital Trust by Trust basis.

Certain Hospital Trusts do not have the staff and beds to look after people in their local community at all or if too many fall ill.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      No point looking at it by a Hospital Trust by Trust basis.

Certain Hospital Trusts do not have the staff and beds to look after people in their local community at all or if too many fall ill.
                      Yep. But there's no point telling the twattering classes that. It even made it into the Guardian yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                      X