• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loyal Permies will be the death of me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    A third guy has joined now, coughing non-stop.
    FFS tell him to eff off for the safety of others! Then punch him in the face from a safe distance. Use a broom maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Wipe down the keyboard, mouse and table before you use them.
      Who doesn't do that if permies have been near them? Even when there isn't a pandemic.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
        There's 0 reason for either of them to be in. A third guy has joined now, coughing non-stop.

The joys of big open plan offices.

All three of them are aged between 50 and just shy of 70.

Would like very much to drive the tank over their heads.
        Guy standing coughing in doorway at Asda today

Big Secuity guy tells him to FUKK RIGHT OFF away from Asda

Round of applause from stoppers

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          With no-one else in the office you ought to be able to maintain social distancing.

Wipe down the keyboard, mouse and table before you use them.
          Social distancing and wiping every bit of kit every bloody day is my SOP. Would recommend.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            If only Microsoft would make something where people could access their desktop from a remote location. They could even call it Remote Desktop. I bet it would be incredibly useful.

I have lost count of how many bugs I have caught from selfish people coming to work while ill. So rather than the small burden of one person staying at home, they make most of the office ill and many of those then do stay off. The very very best manager I have ever worked with, would proactively send people home who came in ill.
            It's a Big Co. That means the IT staff are wanking over themselves about how much they can lock things down to the point of being unusable.

They had to order me a company laptop (brand new, high spec) because you're only allowed to connect in using official company laptops. So £700 odd on a machine used only for remote desktop.

Then the nipple tweaking continues as they require proprietary VPN software to be used. Which only lets you connect if Mcafee is up to date plus other security checks pass. Mcafee won't update unless you're on the corporate network. So I have to manually download the offline updates to get that to work or do it at work.

Once connected, I have to log into the VPN, which requires a username, password, a 2fa SMS to my phone.

Once in, I have to log into their intranet. Another username, password, pin number, and rotating RSA key from a plastic fob they gave me.

Next, from there, I have to remote into a terminal server located miles away at the other side of the country. Another username/password.

Finally connected to ClientNet, I have to connect through to EndClientNet because EndClient machines are different from Client machines. Another username and password to connect, then because of some stupid group policy, I have to re-enter it again.

And finally, I am connected, with the most horrendous lag imaginable, to my work computer.

My laptop VPN policy locks down all traffic on the laptop, so I can't remote from my desktop with 2 big monitors, keyboard/mouse etc. into the work laptop, I have to either use the tulipty laptop with its trackpad, or, plug in a second keyboard/mouse/monitor, which I have no room for on my super comfy perfectly set up desk.

Secondly, if any part of this is idle for more than 15 minutes it locks and I have to go through each tier typing my details in to unlock it to get back in (although I've mitigated this with a script to periodically move the mouse).

If the connection as a whole is left open for too many hours the VPN disconnects me and I must repeat all of the above.

As you can imagine my productivity, as a developer, at home with this laggy connection and just the laptop monitor, is close to zero. For doing the important release today, I would from my work machine, have to VPN into three additional servers, which have a group policy timeout of about 5 minutes at which point they close everything open and log you off.

Comment

I picked up my laptop from client co on Wednesday and all I have toi do s plug it in, connect to a network and then insert my ID card, that automatically starts the VPN and connects me to their network. We were only 2 in the office and they have rules where only two can be in an office at a time and have to be at least 2 meters apart from each other. Now doing WFH (motorway was empty of cars but a heck of a lot of lorries) so next trip is end of April to give laptop back and handover before starting a new project for them.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Who doesn't do that if permies have been near them? Even when there isn't a pandemic.
                Just reminding people of the basics...

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  Social distancing and wiping every bit of kit every bloody day is my SOP. Would recommend.
                  And performing the procedure loudly and noisily every time they make a move.

Possibly throw in a bit of interpretive dance while you're at it...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Possibly throw in a bit of interpretive dance while you're at it...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

FFS tell him to eff off for the safety of others! Then punch him in the face from a safe distance. Use a broom maybe?
                      Yep, this is one of those situations where the proverbial ten foot barge pole would come in handy
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X