• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government to front 80% of wages up to £2500/month

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will only cover people in the places that can't work because of the virus. Like the places that have to be closed.

There is absolutely no chance anyone else is getting in nor should they be.

Comment

Wait a minute....

Stephen Barclay, the Treasury chief secretary, said that providing protection for the the self-employed during the coronavirus outbreak would be “operationally” difficult to deliver, following criticism that current UK government plans to underwrite the wages of millions of workers did not cover freelancers, contractors and the self-employed.

Barclay said the self-employed would benefit from measures such as the deferral of self-assessment tax requirements, holidays for mortgage payers and the strengthening of the welfare “safety net”.

“We are looking at operationally what we can roll out to people,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “The main thing we have done is twofold: it is to support the economy as a whole, because the best thing for people who are self-employed as for all people is to sustain the economy and ensure that we can return with those viable businesses, and alongside that strengthen the safety net.”

When asked whether the government would come forward with measures specifically for the self-employed, he said: “I come back to this underlying point about operationally what is difficult to do and what can be delivered to the timescales were are working to.”
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        This will only cover people in the places that can't work because of the virus. Like the places that have to be closed.

There is absolutely no chance anyone else is getting in nor should they be.
        Yeah, just seen Andy Chamberlaine of IPSE saying the Government should give IT Contractors and the rest 80% of their 'normal' income.

Even as a retired contractor, he's taking the piss asking for a blanket 80% when you have contractors who've been on 250+ a day contracts.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Yeah, just seen Andy Chamberlaine of IPSE saying the Government should give IT Contractors and the rest 80% of their 'normal' income.

Even as a retired contractor, he's taking the piss asking for a blanket 80% when you have contractors who've been on 250+ a day contracts.
          Well, no harm in bargaining high, I suppose
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

£250 a day, who gets out of bed for that sort of money?

INKSPE
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think this is going to be an interesting test of how reasonable it is to push contractors inside IR35.

I started a new contract three weeks ago and was forced inside scope for the first time. I’m paid through an umbrella.

At the beginning of the week the contract was suspended as the organisation had to switch to working from home and needed to reprioritise. They and my agency confirmed that they was a suspension and not a termination. The umbrella company confirmed that I remained an employee.

As far as I can see, the new government scheme should apply to me and others in a similar situation. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the umbrella pushes back. I would be interested in others opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                £250 a day, who gets out of bed for that sort of money?

INKSPE
                I think he meant an hour

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Jemetpl View Post
                  As far as I can see, the new government scheme should apply to me and others in a similar situation. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the umbrella pushes back. I would be interested in others opinions.
                  Yes, I think it should apply to inside/brolly contracts. After all you pay employee taxes etc etc

Outside.. nope

Comment

Yes I am in the same position as Jemetpl. Started my first inside IR35 role last week and the job was suspended on Thursday. I believe I should be treated as a PAYE employee of the umbrella company and should therefore receive the 80%. I will be contacting the umbrella co on Monday, let’s see how they react!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Now go back and highlight the word employee in your original quote and the try and find an employee in your company.... because there aren't any.
                      You keep rolling this out northernlad - but it's simply not true.

I've supplied case law in a previous thread showing that you are BOTH an office holder and an employee at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                      X