• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus vs Natural Deaths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    What we don't know, and again we won't know until the dust settles, is how many will die this year due to Flu (i.e. the current 8000)
    There are those on here who will say that 160,000 die every year in the UK from the flu, therefore we should ignore CV-19 until it’s killed more than that.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Are you totally blind to what is happening in Italy?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      No. But I do know Italians personally and that is exactly how their family unit is made up. They live in each others space. Grandparents "babysit" the babies and collect the nippers from school. They eat together, laugh together, the family unit is not wht the UK generally has. I honestly do not know about other groups of people, so I can't comment.

Black and white as far as I can see it. Before saying what is happening in Italy will be worse here you kind of need to understand their culture is far removed from ours.

Unless you still live with your parents or grandparents, you personally are not putting them at risk. If you are anything like me, you saw parents and close relatives at births, weddings and deaths. Not every day sat across from you at the dinner table.

You cannot use what is happening in Italy as a comparison to what might happen in the UK because the data set is different.

Comment

There is a suggestion that the lock-down in China has cut so much pollution, that the net result (baseline lives lost vs Covid-19 deaths) is more lives saved:

Two months of pollution reduction “likely has saved the lives of 4,000 kids under 5 and 73,000 adults over 70 in China,”

Forbes linky

M

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post

You cannot use what is happening in Italy as a comparison to what might happen in the UK because the data set is different.
          Then what data set should be used?
          We’re told by the brains on here that we can’t use the Contagion! Data set as it ended up being on a BBC documentary and is thus left wing biased science, and not Wail approved.

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
            There is a suggestion that the lock-down in China has cut so much pollution, that the net result (baseline lives lost vs Covid-19 deaths) is more lives saved:
            Interesting, It would be rather ironic if we destroy our economy for a generation and less people die this year than in an average year.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              There are those on here who will say that 160,000 die every year in the UK from the flu, therefore we should ignore CV-19 until it’s killed more than that.
              IIRC it was 16,000 that die from Flu and related illnesses and complications such as Pneumonia, sepsis etc. Every year.

So what we kind of need to do is separate the deaths that are attributable to C19 ONLY. At the moment most deaths are because C19 has attacked people with an underlying medical condition. It's adding a further complication.

I believe this is what the OP is trying to point out. Many of these casualties might have happened anyway, maybe not as quickly so saying they are all down to C19 isn't actually true.

Compare it to Ebola if you will. Doesn't matter how fit and healthy you was, if you got it you were practically assured of death.

CoVID 19 doesn't seem to be a death sentence to fairly fit people.

But that doesn't suit the media or the idiots who believe everything they see on face bollocks or twatter.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                Interesting, It would be rather ironic if we destroy our economy for a generation and less people die this year than in an average year.
                Don’t forget that those stuck at home will end up breeding more, so the overpopulation of the planet will grow.

People of the UK should be like the Chinese - 1 kid is good, more than one is bad.

Comment

Then what data set should be used?
                  We’re told by the brains on here that we can’t use the Contagion! Data set as it ended up being on a BBC documentary and is thus left wing biased science, and not Wail approved.
                  Ah. Well. There isn't one we can use to compare until it's over in this country is there?

There's only modelling based on perhaps and maybe's.

Comment

Don’t forget that those stuck at home will end up breeding more, so the overpopulation of the planet will grow.

People of the UK should be like the Chinese - 1 kid is good, more than one is bad.
                    There's another twist right there. If we "breed" more children than the amount that die off. Kind of depends doesn't it? If t'interweb stays up then we might not breed more.

And I seem to recall China is now having a few issues as most of the people who had children wanted Boys and there's not enough girls to go around. Or was that Japan? One or the other, maybe both.

When I was working at the Science museum there was a section in there that covered Florence Nightingale's work. She basically worked out how many children were still born by wealth of the families. Scary but quite interesting stuff..

But:

731,213 Live births (not adding the children that didn't make it)

616,014 deaths.

According to ONS.

Get breeding people!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Are they in the group the NHS advises to be vaccinated?
                      No quite the right question. The NHS advises everyone to be vaccinated however, it's free for the over 60s and others at risk.

Tragically, a local healthy 15yo died of flue last year and a very healthy 20yo girl who though it was ok to get out of bed and drive to her boyfriend's house.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X