• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus vs Natural Deaths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    keep on coughing asshole. we might get lucky.
    You're talking to the guy who, against all public advice, phoned 111 because he had a sore throat and he felt a bit hot. If this virus really is as bad as the likes of SAS claim, then they will know when they have it ..... yet, they call 111 and waste valuable resoucres because he's a little poorly.

FFS
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      As a child of the Thatcherite political era, where rampant individualism, greed and a steadfast belief that "there's no such thing as society", remind me again why I, a perfectly healthy person, should give one sh!t about this virus and what it might do to others?

Well you could actually just read her full interview from Womans Own.

There is no such thing as society.

There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate.
      Rather than taking one sentence out of context.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Lots of complete bollocks being talked by people who should know better. I expect it from proven cretins like Minnie. Basically CV19 has a death rate at best 5 times that of normal flu (on average) and more likely 10 times (0.5 to 1% compared with 0.1%; and those are very conservative figures). And that rate rises sharply with age. For anyone above 50 you really don't want to get it especially if you have another condition. And what hasn't been talked about much is that in many you get permanent lung damage.
        The reason Italian and Spanish (and soon to be UK) hospitals are overwhelmed is that 10-15% need hospital treatment. France has said 50% of those needing hospital treatment are under 60.
        Anyone who doesn't think this a medical health emergency is a moron.
        Correct but.....

Thought you'd flounced?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          No there isn't.
          There is because I posted it a while ago. Based on ONS figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            No, he said 'could', not 'will' There are reasonable worst case scenarios that need to be prepared for now. Simple risk management.
            "Simple risk management" ... Now that's an oxymoron if ever I saw one.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
              Brother inlaw is a doctor at Wolverhampton hospital where two have died and one of them was 51 who was a doctor a close friend. He was health and only have very mild asthma.

He said that people have no idea what is about to hit them in two weeks time. Major sh**e storm is coming. Also you don't know if you gonna be the one who will need icu or not. He said NHS is crapping itself as it can't already cope.

He took me and my son to gp yesterday. Local sent us to another one as my son had a sniffly nose. Arrived at gp. Had to wait in car as it's one in one out. The lady and her daughter went in before us. When they came out my brother in law right away said that girl has corona. 3 minutes later an ambulance arrived with protective clothing to take the poor kid away. Her mum was in tears. They wouldn't go near the mum.

Brother in law said it's gonna be at least 1 year before anything good comes out of this. Only way is to get infected and build antibodies. He did say two drugs are being tested. One is anti malaria that has been effective in China. But it's not a vacinne which is at least 1 year out at best.

What hurts my brother in law is that no one is taking it seriously. He said when it happens to them or people around them it's too late. By that point most will be infected and your chance of survival drops. There is a consensus that there are two strains of the virus. One of them producing the deadly pneumonia.

This is a life changing event. Nothing will be the same. Sorry but with pumping silly money into a broken economy and this happening globally means nothing but bad news. As contractors were screwed all directions.

Good luck and god speed to all!
              Yes but again this is "Hearsay". It's "my mate says" all over again.

That's what the problem is, the Government has it's own experts saying one thing, then someone comes up with a story that they heard from "someone" in a hospital, no names, no idea which hospital no evidence at all but the panic mongerers chose to believe the "My mate says" because it's more spectacular. A better sound bite.

You know if they shut all the internet down for a week this would probably just turn into a flu virus again.
              FFS calm down people.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                There is also a 3rd, which is similar to 2 but extends to protecting everyone from me and not just protecting me from everyone. If we all assume we have the virus, and work to protect others from us, then we can flatten the curve and shorten the tail.

And before anyone pops up again and tells me I'm not taking this seriously just because I'm not hysterical, let me re-iterate my personal circumstances for the hard of reading. My wife is seriously ill. She already has an advanced directive in place. This says that, if she gets to a certain stage she will refuse ICU treatment and being kept alive via ventilator. This is all prior to this virus being known about and is linked directly to her illness, but now has become even more 'now' for us. I know that if she gets this virus, and gets it bad, that I could very well lose her.

Now does someone else want to come on here and tell me I don't take this seriously?

I may not be in a panic or acting hysterically, but I have someone personally to lose so yes, I do take this seriously. I just act rather than scaremonger online.
                Similar situation. I've had cancer twice. My Lymphatic system is compromised. I have "something" in my lungs which might be related to working down a coal mine. I am 63 years old. Yet I'm not panicking.

Sorry to hear about your other half, but in this situation all panic does is create stress and we all should know by now that stress harms your immune system.

That's why people such as myself take a view after watching the experts on TV, seeing what the conditions are in other countries etc. and basically ignoring all the red top panic screamers and all the idiots buying all the food in the stores that has a shelf life of two weeks. Because they are too thick to even realise the mass of food they have bought will be going in the bin soon.

This is a panic created by people with a vested interest in making lots of money out of it. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  And the mountains

And the coast

And the country side

And people are having house and garden parties

- my conclusion is people are fecking stupid idiots!
                  Which might be because back in the day, when I was younger, last century, if a kid got Mumps or the Measles or Chicken Pox all the mums used to take their kids to "Pox Parties" to make sure their kids caught the virus at an early stage.
                  So, are these people thinking the same? Who knows.

Comment

I suppose there's one good thing to come out of it. All the people who have just got their UC payments will now have spent up at the supermarkets buying up food about to go out of date and bog rolls. So now they will be skint.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      You're talking to the guy who, against all public advice, phoned 111 because he had a sore throat and he felt a bit hot. If this virus really is as bad as the likes of SAS claim, then they will know when they have it ..... yet, they call 111 and waste valuable resoucres because he's a little poorly.

FFS
                      You really are a thick twunt.

I followed the 111 online instructions, which told me to call 111, based on my symptoms.

I spoke to my GP friend yesterday who after some probing questions, thinks its 95% certain that I'm the 80% of the pop who cath it who will have/had mild symptoms since I'm youngish, reasonably fit, not taking pills for anything, since I have no underlying conditions.

But perhaps Covid will be a cull for the stupid, particularly those who are vulnerable but don't know what govt advice is should they get symptoms.
                      Last edited by sasguru; 23 March 2020, 11:19.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X