• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus vs Natural Deaths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It is to protect adults.

As most people have had it they think it will increase the risk of chicken pox and shingles in adults.

There is a shingles vaccination but it is only for those 70+.
    Exactly. The point being, there are valid and genuine reasons and times when you do NOT want to administer a vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post

Besides it’s just assguru, nobody with anything important to do...he retired off to Portugal like all the other Richie riches allegedly do
      And they sent him back once they realised they had little current use for immigrant scarecrows.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        The problem is, that alone is a flawed analysis. It's not just the 2.5% - it's the knock on effect. No matter what we do, we're going to see huge amounts of people have time off work and huge, unbelievable strain on the NHS. That means people who have accidents, unrelated illnesses and so on are also going to die. And what of the "vulnerable" - this time 2 years ago my son had his second open heart surgery. Before that time he would in the group that probably wouldn't survive this - now he likely will.

This idea that it's "just" pensioners and old people or "just" 2.5% is deeply flawed and plain incorrect. Here's an example near me, already: 'Fit and healthy' 36-year-old UK nurse in intensive care with coronavirus | World news | The Guardian

COVID is coming regardless, and it's going to be devastating if we don't take action. This isn't a binary choice for the economy - there is no "minimal economic disruption option"
        To be fair, though, the example of the "fit and healthy" nurse who's significantly ill is incredibly rare. Plus, without putting too fine a point on it, she's not dead yet either. See: Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

The vast majority of fatalities are those over 70 years old and those with underlying health conditions.

Of course, some people will be statistical anomalies, but given the "trolley problem" options, the real question becomes, how many?

Do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          And they sent him back once they realised they had little current use for immigrant scarecrows.

I guess we're about to find out how much use the UK has for overweight, elderly, ex-catering corp staff with underlying health conditions.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

"We aim to improve and better ourselves- yet
            Hospitals remind us of the True equality of Man"

Wh Auden

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
              "We aim to improve and better ourselves- yet
              Hospitals remind us of the True equality of Man"

Wh Auden
              Hi Alfie, long time no see. Good to see your wisdom back in these times.
              Very true. I like Auden.
              Who was it who said about hospitals as he was dying of lung cancer: "...in the cancer ward there are no distinctions, no racism, no poor nor rich, just humans enduring ....".
              AA Gill I think?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                FFS sake, really? I expect oPM to believe every piece of crap on the internet, but I expected better from the rest of you!

We're 2-3 months in, and so far we have had 9 cases in the UK, 8 of whom are now clear. All these cases had links to China/SE Asia.

At a 2% mortality rate, with shall we say 75m people in the whole UK, we'd only get 1.5 million deaths if EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the UK was infected.

Let's think about that again ..... in 2-3 months we have 9 cases. And yet you're suggesting in the next 10 months this will jump to THE WHOLE UK POPULATION of (no more than) 75m.

I say it again ... FFS
                Posted mid-feb.

End of...

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                  Posted mid-feb.

End of...
                  And where are we now? Are we still looking to have a 2% mortality rate with a 100% UK infection rate? Erm ... no

We've all seen the modelling for the spread of the virus, and even based on 'do nothing' we're not forecast to get anywhere near the mortality rate I was responding to. And we're far from doing nothing.

FFS, the scare mongering going on .... you guys need to start wearing brown trousers to hide your 'fear'
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Hi Alfie, long time no see. Good to see your wisdom back in these times.
                    Very true. I like Auden.
                    Who was it who said about hospitals as he was dying of lung cancer: "...in the cancer ward there are no distinctions, no racism, no poor nor rich, just humans enduring ....".
                    AA Gill I think?
                    Jings SG ! How the devil are you ?

Well there are no atheists on a sinking ship - which reminds me of the one about The Glasgow Priest who dies and is taken to heaven - he is led to a modest Mansion by the Lord , then he notices that his neighbors mansion is - well massive and adorned with jewels, he realises that the neighbour was a former Glasgow taxi driver infamous for his vulgarity drunkeness and ito be frank all manner of sinful living whom the Priest himslf had often rebuked in no uncertain terms in the confessional box.

Indignantly the Priest asks The Lord why the sinful Taxi driver earned such a glorious Mansion when he had himself devoted his Life to the service if the Lord, had such a modest Mansion.

"My son - it is true what you have said - yet by this mans chaotic reckless and dangerous driving he brought many of his passengers Souls closer to my Love than you did , as they cried out " God save me ! " in the back of the cab,"

For it is wriitten... "He who calls on the Name of the Lord - will be saved, " Gospel Romans 10

My goodness Boys and Girls- is that the time ? Blimey !! Tme for a cup of tea I reckon.

"Alf's Gaurdian Angel always told him what to write and what to do next."
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 24 March 2020, 20:07.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      They don't routinely vaccinate children against chicken pox in the UK as they have decided it means that the old folk suffer less from shingles.

It does mean if you don't get it when you are the right age as a child you bloody suffer. I only knew I must have had chicken pox because I had two friends I sat with at school get it at 14/15 and suffer. That or I had a mild case and infected both of them....
                      Weird I never got chicken pox or measles until I was in my late 20’s and I don’t think I’ve ever had the flu. Never had mumps either and very rarely get a cold. I think it’s the amount of alcohol I used to drink as a child
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X