• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panic buying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I thought you were against totalitarianism? Anyway, there's no way Britain could get that organised.

Even in France, where you can't go out with a certificate accepts that people need to go out - even just for exercise. A brisk walk daily boosts the immune system - just keep 2m away from anyone else and you neither risk your own health, nor anyone else's. Plus - dogs need to be walked.
    I am against totalitarianism.

In a health emergency like right now enforced action is needed, for the sake of everyone.

Comment

On one hand you have advice to stay put or even self isolate, in the other you are not supposed to stockpile food, how is this supposed to work? You can get a delivery slot for any supermarket and even if you have one there is no guarantee they will deliver even half of your order?

So it's no wonder that people are flocking to the supermarkets trying to stock up on food.

That being said, there is no excuse for abhorrent behavior in some of the viral videos. It's sad to see how the supposedly civil British society degrades so much in crisis, gone are the days of the Blitz spirit.

Comment

I can understand panic buying to some extent but not of TP

I suppose some people fear a war time rationing or some such and therefore a lack of food ... but I can't get the panic buying of toilet paper. Surely that's the one thing that's not really an issue for people in a house with decent plumbing.

You could even add a makeshift bidet if you don't fancy a bucket and scoop.
        DORMANT ACCOUNT

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          That being said, there is no excuse for abhorrent behavior in some of the viral videos. It's sad to see how the supposedly civil British society degrades so much in crisis, gone are the days of the Blitz spirit.
          During the blitz, burglaries and other crimes were rampant. In the run up to rationing - when people knew it was coming but it hadn't happened yet - the shops were stripped. Soft toilet paper wasn't invented until the 60s, so they didn't worry about that.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I am against totalitarianism.

In a health emergency like right now enforced action is needed, for the sake of everyone.
            So am I. Especially on CUK. We must overthrow the mod dictators....

Comment

I'm finding the little independent shops are a veritable gold mine near me
              Same here. Mind you, don't find a big problem with bigger supermarkets, despite the empty shelves, most people obviously have different tastes to me.

I do find, now that the major outdoor places, National Trust etc, are closing, people are going to more obscure areas, along minor local footpaths etc. that would normally be be pretty safe. Hard to park today.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 22 March 2020, 18:01.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I think we should spare a thought here for shoplifters. Nothing left to nick....

Comment

All sporting events cancelled. But live boxing can still be seen at aldi, lidl, morrisons, ...

Comment

Rationing would have been ok - what’s not ok is to create a hot spot in limited supermarkets AND force people to come back more frequently - it’s nurs of a policy, they had at least a month r two to think it through, fking criminal this is

Comment

I don't understand why the supermarkets continue to open just for the elderly/vulnerable when many can't get to the bloody shop in the first place.

Clearly isn't working, so they should do the home deliveries just for that demographic.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X