• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panic buying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Government have been shouting at us all today. Stop panic buying!

However, I suspect a distraction in the media.

Pubs, restaurants closed, schools closed, loads of people WFH and eating lunch at home, etc.

I couldn't find the equivalent graph for the UK, but this one is for the US:

Assuming something similar, the answer is clear, we're switching where we get our food from and the supermarkets just can't cope, and need to gear up their staff, distribution logistics, etc. This wont happen instantly.
    Backing this up, I heard on the TV this week it is around 25% of our food consumption that comes from out-of-home food retailers.

Even if the panic buyers - who are arguably a small minority of thickos - were to be locked up or buying controls enforced by government, I think there would still be bare shelves at the supermarket right now.

Yes there 'is plenty of food in the supply chain', but its been going to the wrong places and will take time for our system to adjust.
    A lot of out-of-home food comes from takeaways who are still open.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      A lot of out-of-home food comes from takeaways who are still open.
      Do you live on takeaways?
      I guess they will replace restaurant meals for those who dont like cooking all of the time.

Comment

Even Majestic wine has shut down its website to demand for online orders. Shutting the boozers down has started the next wave of panic.

Comment

You've just reminded me - I have a £10 Laithwaite's voucher that needs using by the 31st.

Comment

Went to the supermarket today, it was heaving...with food, in particular fresh food so had nice vegetarian meal this evening followed by a Pear Tiramisu for pudding. They've got Merguez sausages coming in on Thursday so I'll be popping in to get a packet of those definitely
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

While in Danmark

Panic Buying - Album on Imgur

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Went to the supermarket today, it was heaving...with food, in particular fresh food so had nice vegetarian meal this evening followed by a Pear Tiramisu for pudding. They've got Merguez sausages coming in on Thursday so I'll be popping in to get a packet of those definitely
                Piss off!!
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Same in our local REWE, shelves of plenty - even loo roll!

Took me time at it too, got me some freshly baked Weißbrot..
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Mmm...Merguez sausages! The butcher around the corner does those.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Mmm...Merguez sausages! The butcher around the corner didthose.
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X