• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panic buying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I don't currently have an open bottle of whisky.

Should I open the Chita or one of the 2 bottles of Johnny Walker Blue Label...

Note neither are for mixing...
    Go for the Johnny Walker, until travel restrictions are lifted and you can invite me round to share the Chita.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I don't currently have an open bottle of whisky.

Should I open the Chita or one of the 2 bottles of Johnny Walker Blue Label...

Note neither are for mixing...

Well I have to have some for the MIL's whisky & coke and for diluting dry ginger ale for me.

Mrs V was once caught opening the Talisker for her Mum to add to coke. nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Mrs V was once caught opening the Talisker for her Mum to add to coke. nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          Government have been shouting at us all today. Stop panic buying!

However, I suspect a distraction in the media.

Pubs, restaurants closed, schools closed, loads of people WFH and eating lunch at home, etc.

I couldn't find the equivalent graph for the UK, but this one is for the US:

Assuming something similar, the answer is clear, we're switching where we get our food from and the supermarkets just can't cope, and need to gear up their staff, distribution logistics, etc. This wont happen instantly.
          Backing this up, I heard on the TV this week it is around 25% of our food consumption that comes from out-of-home food retailers.

Even if the panic buyers - who are arguably a small minority of thickos - were to be locked up or buying controls enforced by government, I think there would still be bare shelves at the supermarket right now.

Yes there 'is plenty of food in the supply chain', but its been going to the wrong places and will take time for our system to adjust.
          If you read what the chart shows, it simply shows how much more per dollar per calorie restaurant food costs than food consumed at home via a supermarket. Talk about Captain Obvious.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            And I am currently upset by the distinct lack of fun-sized Wispas.

Ocado are showing them as in stock again

Whether they're in stock on the day I'd like a delivery...

Comment

Waitrose apparenly relaxes buy limits on most items...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Go for the Johnny Walker, until travel restrictions are lifted and you can invite me round to share the japanese crap
                ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Well I have to have some for the MIL's whisky & coke and for diluting dry ginger ale for me.

A wise whisky drinker has a high shelf and a short wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    A wise whisky drinker has a high shelf and a short wife.

I have a cabinet with a key and a tall wife so I don't have to bend my knees.

However this time I left the good stuff out having drunk too much of it.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Don't like whisky but got a nearly full bottle that I bought for lady next door's Sunday visits. Unused since she started inviting me round her place after me and her hubby were no longer enemies. Obviously I won't be drinking with them for a while now, so maybe I should find summit to mix it with so I can stand the taste.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X