• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No contract, no income = spend corporation tax money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My contract is up end of the week and next contract got pulled so I could be out of contract. I have enough in the company to last 4 -5 months, but I was wondering who else has considered what they will do should this rumble on for 12 months. If it means putting food in the kids months, would you resort to spending the corporation tax money you've saved in the business account?

Originally posted by juckky View Post
    My contract is up end of the week and next contract got pulled so I could be out of contract. I have enough in the company to last 4 -5 months, but I was wondering who else has considered what they will do should this rumble on for 12 months. If it means putting food in the kids months, would you resort to spending the corporation tax money you've saved in the business account?
    No. If you are tempted, pay HMRC most of what you think you owe now.

Comment

There are many other things you could do first before doing that, such as selling the house, the car, and other assets, doing less-well paid work, drawing down on your pension perhaps, borrowing from friends, family, loans from banks, spending on credit cards, selling on Ebay, sending the wife out to work, kids to get a paper round. All these things are legal. Purposefully spending Corporation tax money on yourself is not, and could even land you in jail.

I don't think it will come to that though. 5 month's warchest should get you through it in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
        There are many other things you could do first before doing that, such as selling the house, the car, and other assets, doing less-well paid work, drawing down on your pension perhaps, borrowing from friends, family, loans from banks, spending on credit cards, selling on Ebay, sending the wife out to work, kids to get a paper round. All these things are legal. Purposefully spending Corporation tax money on yourself is not, and could even land you in jail.

I don't think it will come to that though. 5 month's warchest should get you through it in my opinion.
        Totally this. Tighten your belt and make thr 5 months last 10.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Mark 12:17
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Do not, under any circumstances, spend money you owe to HMRC

Comment

Not quite true anymore with the 3 month pause on VAT payments. You have until end of 2021 tax year to recoup this quarter’s VAT if you spend it

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

100% I would

If no other assets, zero money in accounts and credit cards maxed out

But since you can start as Asda tomorrow as delivery driver your 5 months could stretch a whole year

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Having read those responses you've convinced me that doing such a thing would be like robbing the mafia.

Comment

Having read those responses you've convinced me that doing such a thing would be like robbing the mafia.
                    Robbing the mafia is less risky...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X