• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got an Asda delivery yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    I got some yeast off eBay before everything went nuts.

I'll have another go with the plain flour. I've got some self-raising which might be interesting with yeast.
    It really won't I'm afraid. Bread flour is also called strong flour as it contains more gluten than the ordinary stuff.

meaning of "strong flour" | The Fresh Loaf

I would do as NAT suggests and try making soda bread with what you have.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      It really won't I'm afraid. Bread flour is also called strong flour as it contains more gluten than the ordinary stuff.

meaning of "strong flour" | The Fresh Loaf

I would do as NAT suggests and try making soda bread with what you have.
      Thanks.

BTW, the only reason we ordered bread mix is because this is what we normally buy. It produces much better bread than I've ever been able to make from scratch.

Wright's Mixed Grain Bread Mix
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        Thanks.

BTW, the only reason we ordered bread mix is because this is what we normally buy. It produces much better bread than I've ever been able to make from scratch.

Wright's Mixed Grain Bread Mix
        Not dissing the bread mix, my attempts were mediocre at best before I learned to make a poolish before throwing the salt in.

Poolish recipe | Epicurious.com
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Leaving it 18 hours isn’t necessary btw, just start making the bread a bit longer or the poolish the night before.

Here’s another recipe.

Baking with Poolish for tastier bread - Sourdough&Olives

Comment

I ordered some sourdough starter from ebay and now I've got tons of the stuff. Makes fantastic bread although I've been adding yeast as well.

Seems like I've seen online that you can make your yeast starter by simply leaving a mix of flour and water out for a few days.
            Last edited by hairymouse; 24 March 2020, 15:44.

Comment

Yep, I use a bread flour/ rye mix when I want to start a sourdough off, I haven’t done it for a couple of years as we weren’t eating it fast enough, and I don’t want to waste too much flour by starting a new one now.

Comment

The world is ending and this place turns into The Great Contractor Bake Off

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  The world is ending and this place turns into The Great Contractor Bake Off

wait till we start talking about stripping our AK47s!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Can you get hold of dry (or even better, live) yeast and plain flour?
                    Flour is hard to get too. Presumably bought mostly by people with no idea how to bake a loaf!

I saw a report today from a refuse site food waste is up 30% to post-XMas levels with all the short-life food people panic-bought and are now throwing away.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We found a bakery wholesaler and bought 32kg for us and some friends to split.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X