• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got an Asda delivery yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an Asda delivery yesterday

Normally use Sainsburys but they're only delivering to vulnerable people at the moment.

Ordered it the previous Monday. Was expecting it to be cancelled, or only partially fulfilled. Wasn't too bad though. There were a few substitutions but the only items missing entirely were bread mix and long life milk. Looked on eBay yesterday and 500g bread mixes, which normally retail for about a quid, were selling for over £10. Bonkers.

The driver was wearing gloves and a mask, but he'd bought them himself. I gave a him a couple of new masks we had left over from some DIY, and also tipped him £10.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Yet another COV19 thread. Good - I was worried the infection had stopped spreading.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      but the only items missing entirely were bread mix and long life milk
      Can you get hold of dry (or even better, live) yeast and plain flour?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Don't be silly that's too obvious.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My Ocado delivery arrived yesterday also!

They didn't have my artisan sourdough bread so they substituted it with white toastie

I'm currently writing a formal letter of complaint to the CEO to explain that I clearly don't live on a council estate, evidenced by my purchase of organic blue eggs, avocados and fairtrade almond milk.

Comment

No bread flour in any of the local shops. Couldn't find any available on-line either, other than at gouge prices.

I've tried plain flour before but never succeeded in producing acceptable bread.

Not really bothered about doing without bread for a while. 1st world problem.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              I've tried plain flour before but never succeeded in producing acceptable bread.
              I've never had a problem producing something tasty ouf of general purpose white bleached plain flour. You could try soda bread?

Our supermarkets were out of dried yeast 3 weeks ago during the first surge of panic buying. But within three days they were all restocked. I think we were less affected by panic buying as we've got 6 supermarkets within easy walking distance - plus a handful of grocers, general stores that are open longer hours and on sundays. Also the large supermarket chains are obliged to keep 3 months stock of essentials (like chocolate) at depots, by law. (Part of civil defence).
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Just make soda bread? No need for yeast.

Comment

Our supermarkets were out of dried yeast 3 weeks ago during the first surge of panic buying. But within three days they were all restocked.
                  I got some yeast off eBay before everything went nuts.

I'll have another go with the plain flour. I've got some self-raising which might be interesting with yeast.

Comment

I bought 2 bags of bread flour before people realised that you could also make bread as well as buy it.

Getting fresh yeast always seems to be a bit tricky but I've always got dried yeast in.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X