• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Echo Show etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Echo Show etc

OK I guess these are going to be popular....

Any recommendations for easy to use, etc to keep in touch with elderly you can't visit.

At my end, we've got tabs, laptops, phones but parent has got broadband but nothing like this. Gonna buy something easy to use...
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OK I guess these are going to be popular....

Any recommendations for easy to use, etc to keep in touch with elderly you can't visit.

At my end, we've got tabs, laptops, phones but parent has got broadband but nothing like this. Gonna buy something easy to use...
    I've just bought an ipad air, first time in a long time since I've used an ipad properly. Fantastic and so easy to use. Can carry around the house and old folks can keep up with news. Just a suggestion as trying to organise the same for an elderly relative.

Comment

we use whatsapp on almost any device (except Alexa).

MIL,Daughters & us all use it to keep in touch.

it seems that means you need a FB portal.

if you want to roll your own.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Wha...-Raspberry-Pi/
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yeh this is for MIL mainly who is 80 so no smartphone etc.

Its got be EASY to use....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Yeh this is for MIL mainly who is 80 so no smartphone etc.

Its got be EASY to use....

MIL in her later 70s copes with whatsapp.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I did think about an Echo Show but I only had a very narrow window to visit the 70 year old mother in law one evening last week before the potential self-isolation for the over 70s so didn't have time to get her one.

In the end I set her up on Skype (which I really don't like) on her PC and phone plus Google Duo on her mobile as a backup which see seems to prefer.

I can see a big longer term boom in these types of devices for older people once they see they are relatively easy to use (mostly.)

Comment

Dad (late 80s) lives on his iPad. uses it for video calling, messaging, emails and reading the news, watching Sky, etc
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Got my wife's elderly parents a samsung tablet and put whatsapp on it. My father-in-law is a bit of a techy nerd (he used to repair TVs and other electrical items in the late 60s in Vietnam), so he's taken to it very well.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                X